Teams calls latency, slowness

Copper Contributor

hi,

Need help in identifying the MS teams call issues... 

Since users returned to office we are experiencing slowness, robotic audio, latency etc during calls and conferencing(especially large ones). since users communicate via teams only within premises as well as a safety guidance.

This behavior is observed during first day of the week and peak office hours.

Simultaneously we requested our ISP to provide bandwidth util report for days we face issues, there we observe clearly our BW util exceeds during these problem/issue hours.

While going through the admin center we can see user details shows avg RTT exceeds 500ms, some user details shows packet loss so on and so forth.

Please guide me how do i verify is this teams issue or what i suspect is we need to upgrade our BW.

I am completely new to teams would appreciate guidance.  

4 Replies
Hi,

Since you have a high RTT you should show how your outbound connection is to Microsoft Network. Do you have a local internet connection or a central internet outbound connection on some other site that you use, a local internet breakout connection is preferred.

Also check how your ISP is connected to Microsoft Network, you want to get your traffic inside of the Microsoft Network as soon as possible and not use internet for Teams traffic.

@Linus Cansby

Thanks linus for the reply..

We have a mpls connection to our azure cloud..

we had requested our ISP to apply QOS on the WAN router or at specific device where it classifies and prioritize the teams traffic. But, they replied that QOS on MPLS is not recommended. 

Also want to highlight that these issues occurs only when our BW utilization is exceeding our limit (100mbps) is it might be the reason? This same story when i put across the ISP engineer they told that if the BW limit exceeds then their WAN router will starts dropping or slowing the traffic flow since it seeing the BW surging past 100mbps.

Thirdly, please advise is there a QOS can be applied on Teams ? via powershell ? i was going through one document .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/qos-in-teams#choose-initial-port-ranges-for-each-med...

Please advise..

Hi,
So you can see that the utilization exceeding your limit and then the issues starts, then it is probably related to that.

I don't know the reason why you send Teams traffic via the MPLS connection you have direct to Azure, it might be better for you to use your regular Internet Connection. The MPLS connection probably have some limitations (due to cost) and you probably have more bandwidth on your regular Internet connection.
Thanks Linus.
We have a dedicated express route configured for azure infra.
during normal days when there is not much Teams traffic, we do not have any user complains.