SOLVED

Teams calls are dropping after switching organisations

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My self and a colleague are both experience the same issue whereby our calls are dropping/disconnected a few seconds in.

we've tried to carry out a bit of testing to figure out the scenario when this happens.

it seems to be after we've switched to a guest organisation (Top right of teams) and switch back to our main organisation and then make/join a call.

signing out of teams and signing back in resolves the issue (until we then need to switch to another guest organisation again).

Is anybody else experiencing this issue, and does anybody have any idea's as to how we can get around it. Without having to sign out and back in each time.

Many thanks in advanced

Dave

14 Replies
Not that I’m aware of. I know work is going into tenant switching and what not but this might be a bug. Not a fix but I’d highly recommend using edge if you use the new one and you can access teams.Microsoft.com and login and tenant switch to guest tenant you change too. Then you can “install it as an app” and then put it on your task bar. This is how I manage between my work tenant and Microsoft tenant and it works great. You will also get notifications if you allow it via windows notifications for the web app tenant. You can also use a browser but I’ve gotten use to this app way of doing it.

It’s good enough for now until we get a permanent solution from MS.

I also get the exactly same behaviour, seems like it started to occur after I joined another organization and started switching between them. Both direct person-to-person calls and scheduled meeting connections drops right after the connection is established.
I really prefer using the desktop app for Teams so let's hope for a permanent fix.

Teams calls dropping right after connecting sounds familiar. It started to happen just recently and before reading these posts I did not realize that the switching between organizations could have something to do with disconnections. Good to be aware!

Hey @Daveelbro , 

I googled and find your thread. My colleagues and I share exactly the same problem since a couple of weeks. It's not funny when you want to have calls with customers. My workaround is to close Teams completely and restart it. I also use Teams in browser, but I have different meetings in both organisations and clicking the meeting link in outlook appointment will always open the call in my desktop app, so not very helping. 

I hope MS can fix this bug ASAP, it just troubles me. 

Same in our organization. After switching tenant all new calls (both inbound and outbound) are dropped a few seconds in. The "chat" opens but immediately drops afterwards.

I've just had it reported that my organisation is experiencing the same issue, switching back and forth more and than once causes the problem and calls drop out.

@Daveelbro One way to mitigate this for now is to run the meeting in your desktop client and use your browser to join teams.microsoft.com. In the browser windows you may switch to your desired org. while in the meeting. 

Does anyone have any updates on this issue?

@Mark Craddock , still a major issue for me and many of my colleagues. Switching between organizations often (but not always) requires a complete computer restart...  

@Jonas_Ason @Mark Craddock Just a heads-up. 'Teams Connect' will solve the tenant switching. You can collaborate across different orgs. with no need to switch between them. Initially scheduled for release in June but understandable pushed forward to November Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365

If you want to read more about it Microsoft Teams Connect Aka Shared Channels Coming Soon (practical365.com)

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Yes, this happens to me when switching between my client teams where I am a guest, and my company teams. To get around this I have one open on the browser and one on the desktop open at the same time
Hello Celeste, yes that's normally how to handle it but will not be necessary at the end of the year, as you can see in my reply above :)
Oh wow, we posted within mins of each other. Thanks for the info, i just joined. This site is very handy

@ChristianJBergstrom Excellent. Thank you for the swift response:smile:.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Yes, this happens to me when switching between my client teams where I am a guest, and my company teams. To get around this I have one open on the browser and one on the desktop open at the same time

View solution in original post