SOLVED

Teams Button on new Microsoft Modern Speaker and Modern Bluetooth Headset Stopped Working

Brass Contributor

I have the new Microsoft Modern Speaker and Modern Bluetooth headset for Teams. Recently the "Teams" button stopped working on both. If I understand how it's supposed to work when I press it while Teams isn't running it should start Teams, if Teams is running it should bring the application into focus (bring it into the foreground) and if it's running and a meeting starts it should flash and when pressed should join the meeting.

Pressing it now just causes it to blink and do nothing. Is anyone else having this issue? I am running Windows 10 and 11 (has the same issue whether it is on either OS version).

67 Replies

This is so frustrating that the button does not work correctly in all Teams environments. Different versions of Teams allow the Phone button to work. Recently my company upgraded teams to allow direct dial with a phone number and now the phone button works both to answer Teams call , Phone calls and end the events. @Alvin_Wong 

I know this thread is pretty much dead but thought I would see if anyone ever had any luck getting the Microsoft Modern USB-C Teams speaker working with all functionality on Teams for Friends and Family. It has been a year now and they never fixed it. I also just bought one of the Elgato Stream Decks which had a plugin for Teams. It worked for just short of two days and Microsoft pulled it. This company has zero loyalty to anything except constant cash revenue from half-baked products. Sad but they were once a good company.... :(

as of today, the buttons still work on my teams account. It's frustrating for sure.

Thanks for sharing my friend, definitely frustrating....
I don't make or take a lot of calls, I have a Microsoft Modern headset and a Surface Pro 8. Connection is Bluetooth.
Every call I have to turn off the headset and turn it back on again to get it to reconnect.
Win 11 10.0.22621
Modern headset driver 10.0.2262.1

@Carol Chisholm are you referring to Teams calls using the headset or any calls ie. Phone Link, Zoom, or any non-Teams call? I can test with mine.

After struggling with this for a while, I found the Teams button will only work if the Moder USB-C Speaker is set as the default microphone on Teams. We were using another mic, but changing the default to this device makes the Teams button work again. Hope this helps.

@Ariz_1860 Thanks for the tip unfortunately still doesn't work. Were you referring to the commercial version of Teams. There are two. It works on the commercial version (the version for work) but doesn't work on the "Friends and Family" version that ships with Windows 11. It worked a year and a half ago and Microsoft broke both versions. They fixed the commercial version like a month later but never fixed the Friends and Family version. I guess they figure this device is only for work. Kind of sucks and they broke both this device and the Bluetooth Teams headset. They work for voice and sound, but the Teams button does not. Kind of like the only reason people would buy them as there are many better options if you just want that.