SOLVED

Teams Bug - Limits Internet Bandwidth

Copper Contributor

Hi

I've been having issues with internet throughput. My line is 1Gbps, but recently, I can't get it to go over 300-400 Mbps.

After a lot of troubleshooting with my network, ISP, devices, cables etc., I found the issue to be Microsoft Teams.

When Teams is open (which it is all the time), my internet connectivity will not go above 300-400Mbps; however, as soon as Teams is closed, I get my full 1Gbps. See attached screenshots.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I am running Teams for work version 1.5.00.31168 (64-bit).

11 Replies
Teams will not change your internet speed to change.
Teams may add some load to your computer that may make some internet testing incorrect.

But why are you worrying about it? There's not really anything that you can do on the internet that will use all that bandwidth.

There are many companies with a GB connection and 100+ users that are all extremely happy with their internet connection speed

@Ed Woodrick 

Teams is 100% the root cause and throttling my internet connectivity. 

I don’t need to justify why I require 1Gbps, regardless Teams should not be causing the issue, but it is.

Alan

best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Solution
It is a known issue that Teams client uses a large amount of resources for many computers. This is on the roadmap for resolution. You can increase your RAM. Yet, it does not affect your internet connectivity.

@StaceeFrane 

.The machine is high spec’d with 32GB of RAM, A clean rebuild of the machine resolved the issue. Still unsure as to why but the Teams client was 100% responsible for the connectivity issues.

Hello @StaceeFrane We are now 8 months later and the issue is still active - when using Teams in group conversation - the bandwidth drops like hell. Moving on my side from 190Mb/sec to 2k/sec - The app is often useless since even turning video down doesn't help increase bandwidth enough to hold a conversation. The only reason why bandwidth drops is Teams conversation launched. What strange is is that I don't have the issue 100% of the time... 

Alex_C_BE_0-1690450938218.png

@AlanMcBurney 

Alan 

I have exactly the same 500mbps line, which drops to 7-8mbps.

Been troubling me for a while, as slow web page refresh.

Only way to fix was Network Reset or reboot, which lasted for a while.

Then noticed if I killed Teams, the bandwidth cam back.

Any ideas on how to fix long-term?

Martin

@AlanMcBurney 

OK, a final proof if I needed one, my network has behaved all weekend, but I had to attend a Teams meeting that a customer organised today.

As soon as I opened the meeting, the ethernet speed dropped.

I killed the Teams app afterwards, then the two windows processes, but speed stubbornly stayed low.

So, I uninstalled the Teams App from the system … et voila… my bandwidth returned.

I am paying a separate fee for Teams, so I do I reinstall?

… decide tomorrow.

Martin

@mdevilleuk I have exact the same issue recently. The net speed drops to 5-8Mbps while I have 300Mbps normally if I close/quit Teams. Once Teams is running, the bandwidth was down to less than 8Mbps. Closing it can recover the speed. Very frustrating. 

I have tried the new MS Teams and it didn't have trhis issue. But my organizatrion has not approved that version. 

So for those of you who can update, just install the new MS Teams!!

You can install the new one while keeping the classic one. You can switch back if you want anytime.

This is the only solution I found now.

Hi, just found the solution (at least for my Lenovo laptop) here:
It was 'peformance boost' feature in Lenovo Vantage. Turning it off will solve the problem.
Please give it try. (Also other brands may have similar feature.)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/startingstopping-teams-throttles-network-speed...

@AlanMcBurney  , All I have exact the same issue. Without teams no bandwidth reduction, enabling teams bandwidth is severely reduced.

I have exactly the same, without Teams no bandwidth reduction (running fiber) with teams the bandwidth is severely reduced.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Solution
It is a known issue that Teams client uses a large amount of resources for many computers. This is on the roadmap for resolution. You can increase your RAM. Yet, it does not affect your internet connectivity.

View solution in original post