SOLVED

Teams: Banner Notification Duration

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

Is there a way to allow the Team Banner Notification to be customized such as the duration the notification stays up. 

Business Case: A busy medical office needs to communicate with the rest of the staff via Teams, but a staff member is going in and out of all the exam rooms. While the Red Dot notification in the system tray is great the Banner Notification is more noticeable.

Problem: Banner Notification disappears after 15 seconds.

Request: Customized the duration of the Banner notification for up to an hour. 

Thanks, Microsoft Teams for all the hard work you have put into this product. 

9 Replies
Hi! This is configured in windows 10 notifications centre

Adam
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
You cannot customize the notification duration currently. Recommended work around is teach you users to not close Teams, but to minimize it and have it pinned to the Taskbar, it will glow yellow etc. and be more noticeable than the systray.

I wish when you close Team and had the option to always stay on, it would stay in taskbar but that's not the case.

We def. need customization notifications. Duration, what is shown on them (Include the chat message or not), location etc.

@Chris Webb ,

This really needs to be fixed.  Skype opens a chat window and leaves it open until you consciously close it or respond.  But with everybody working from home, if I turn away from my computer for a moment, I miss the banner completely.  Although I understand the workaround, our company employees have been unhappy with this aspect of Teams ever since we switched from Skype.

@Lionel Sleeper I completely agree. Having been forced from Skype (which worked great for chat messages) to Teams (where notifications are poor) I find myself missing messages all the time. I am dreading when Skype actually stops working!

@lukelloyd Hello, I agree that Teams notifications has been quite a mess. But fortunately this is coming rather soon.

Windows native notifications in Teams
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=66742 

Simplified Global Notification Settings

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=65636 

@ChristianBergstrom That seems all well and good, but what would be absolutely fantastic (IMHO) would be if we had an option to configure it to automatically pop up a new, separate chat window (since we can do that now) or reuse an existing open chat window when a chat message is received. As I mentioned in another discussion about the Teams UI/UX, I'd personally much prefer something where I can have each chat separate so I can see more readily at a glance which chats are active without having to have the Teams application running and taking up real estate on my monitors. Even a dockable "taskbar" explicitly for Teams would be preferable to me.

@ChristianBergstrom looks like "Simplified Global Notification Settings" is being rolled out. It appears to have update on my Teams but all it has done is changed the GUI. Functionality appears to remain the same and so I still miss messages :(

Lets hope "Windows native notifications in Teams" changes that :crossed_fingers: otherwise bye bye productivity :face_with_tears_of_joy:

Hi, Is there any latest update on this thread ? can we still not control banner notification duration ?

@Sanjay_joshi110 

Microsoft Teams Classic allowed longer notification duration.  The new Teams app seems to ignore the notification duration in O/S settings [Win]+i -> Notifications.  I hope Microsoft resolves this oversight soon.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
You cannot customize the notification duration currently. Recommended work around is teach you users to not close Teams, but to minimize it and have it pinned to the Taskbar, it will glow yellow etc. and be more noticeable than the systray.

I wish when you close Team and had the option to always stay on, it would stay in taskbar but that's not the case.

We def. need customization notifications. Duration, what is shown on them (Include the chat message or not), location etc.

View solution in original post