Teams bandwidth required

Microsoft

Hi,

I have a Customer that complained because they see some "Teams calls"  with  bandwidth at 70-80kbps. On published article : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network#bandwidth-requirements, we can see  that: Peer-to-peer audio calling – 30kbps.

I know the actual bandwidth consumption in each audio/video call or meeting will vary based on several factors, such as video layout, video resolution, and video frames per second.

Can anyone give more details around this?

Thanks a lot

3 Replies

@GabiU 

If they connect first, they host the meeting which adds additional bandwidth usage. Everything that takes place within a Teams meeting also requires bandwidth, including chat, file sharing, screen sharing, etc. Also, if they traverse a VPN or LAN infrastructure, that could incur more bandwidth usage. Group audio calling can easily surpass the minimums. 

The key part of the documentation as well is - When more bandwidth is available, quality and usage will increase to deliver the best experience. So Teams is smart enough to push a few more kbps if it is available to improve call quality. 

@Brad Groux 

They replay  back that they test with Meeting now ( only the organizer in call) and they see 70Kbps. I make a test call with them and Graph attached.

We mostly still use SFB codecs for TEAMS?

• Blue line is outgoing traffic
    • When talking I’m at around 70kbps
    • When not talking (but not on mute), I’m at around 10kbps
    • When on mute I’m at or near 0kbps (obviously)
  • Red line is incoming traffic
  • Black line is the total

Any another way to test or a doc that explain better the consumtion.

@GabiU Like with nearly any internet-based product, data consumptions are always estimates. Your systems and environment variables also play a role.

If the time you are talking it is 70kbps, and the time you aren't talking it is 0-10kbps, that puts the median at or near 35kbps. That is right at their estimate.