Teams auto answering while in a call?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've been using Teams for something like the last year. Got it installed on my laptop, my Android smartphone and using a Jabra Evolve 75 on both device. Worked like a charm (mostly) for all that time.

Just recently changed organization. So I've setup Teams using my new account and I am having one really weird issue. Whenever I am on a call on my laptop (haven't tested on the smartphone), if I receive another call, Teams will automatically put the current call on hold and answer the new incoming call. It does that without me having time to do anything else. 
If I am not on a call, it rings normally and I can chose to answer or decline the call. But while on a call, I have no choice and end up speaking with the person calling.
As you can guess, this is quite annoying. I've searched forums but anything with "teams auto answer" brings a bunch of other topics not related to my problem.

Anyone has seen something like that? Our M365 administrators are as baffled as I am.

19 Replies
Hi,
If you disconnect your Jabra headset and just try without it do you get the same problem?

I noticed that they added an auto-answer feature in a new firmware for Evolve 75, I can't get it to work with my Evolve 75 but your device might been updated. I cannot see if it possible to turn it of but check in the Jabra Direct software if you have any settings for auto answer.
https://www.jabra.se/support/release-notes/release-note-jabra-evolve-75e

@Linus Cansby 

No, I didn't try yet. I need two different people to reproduce the problem and we're in a rush right now so it will have to wait.

Still, I would be surprised that this would be the case. If there was some setting in the Jabra to auto-answer, I guess it would be auto-answering all the time, not jut while I'm on a call.

I'll try to test this and let you know.

Hi,
I have the same problem. Did you find a way to fixe it ?
Not that I know of. I've just been lucky and didn't get two calls simultaneously in the last couple of weeks!

@PF-ITI I have several users experiencing the same issue and I can say that we checked the firmware for both Jabra Engage 65 and Jabra Evolve 75 (we have multiple headsets experiencing this), and while the settings differ between devices, the only auto answer option was actually an auto-reject instead.  I don't believe this is always a setting like seen in other threads.  This seems like it may be isolated to people using Teams on their PC and mobile for work.  I don't have much to confirm at this time, but people are still having this same issue you were having.

Hi, I disable bluetooth on my mobile and the problem disapear. I'll try with another mobile to check if it's due to my android for work version.

@vmetairie 

Unfortunately, the users need to be connected both by phone and PC, but I had a similar thought as I have seen this mentioned in other threads about this topic.

Thanks!

Another solution is to disable Teams notifications on phone.

@vmetairie That will not work unfortunately, I mean, it does work, but that isn't a good long term solution.

I found within the TEAMS admin center, "Busy on busy is available when in a call".  Our plan is to enable a calling policy (set to unanswered) for a test user that has this setting enabled (it's disabled by default).  If you don't have a MS rated headset and instead are using one for UC, you may be experiencing a similar issue.  We have UC headsets so the default setting is causing some of our headsets on both bluetooth and PC to connect automatically to incoming teams calls.  Turning on the routing rules at the user level should give them the ability to bypass this at the Teams application level (in theory).  We haven't tested yet, but I plan to update this thread when we do and have results.

We tested this within our network and it works.

Create a calling policy in your Teams admin center, set the "Busy on Busy when in a call" setting to "Unanswered". Rather than users having a call auto-answer, their call settings will now dictate what happens, you can set the unanswered setting to forward to voicemail. They will receive a missed call notification, and the incoming caller will have a chance to leave them a voicemail.

This seems to be the best solution here, please let me know if you had the same experience or not.

-Matt
Same issue here. After reading the replies here, I can state that I indeed a) use a Jabra Evolve 65, b) have the headset connected to mobile phone with teams running at the same time.

I'm having the same issue.  It can be quite awkward and embarassing.  I am going to get a new headset. I have a Jabra 75 using to connect to both PC and Android mobile phone with headset with Teams. It only happens with Teams.   @PF-ITI 

@PF-ITI same issue here - Teams for desktop auto answers incoming calls when in an existing call, putting the existing call on hold.  Have Teams installed on my mobile phone (Android) as well.  How do I disable the auto answer for the incoming call?

OK, hope this helps. I tried setting Teams to 'Reject incoming Calls' and disabled connection to my Android. It did not answer the call, but it just sent a message to the caller saying declined and 'still' put existing call on hold ....all automatically, with me touching nothing. I was just ready to buy new headsets, when I decided to call Jabra support. I have the Jabra Evolve 75. They had to step me through some things and 'they' remotely had to reset my headsets. Not only did I need to reset the headset, the problem seemed to lie in the Bluetooth dongle which I believe mine is a 370.  They needed to send a command to reset it also.  This seemed to fix the problem. I need to do one more test with my colleagues, but I believe it worked. Call Jabra Tech Support.

Check the busy on busy setting under calling policies in the Teams admin center. The unanswered setting allows the user to send incoming calls straight to Voicemail.

@PF-ITI There is a setting for the Jabra headset, if you install the Jabra Direct App, select the Headset, ie Jabra Evolve2 65 in my case, from there go to Settings, here there are three tabs at the top, Headset / Softphone / Product Information. Within the HEADSET tab scroll down about the sixth one down you have AUTO REJECT CALL, when this is enabled, the headset will automatically reject the incoming call if you are busy on another call. Maybe give that a go.

@Chago118 This only works if you never want to receive voicemail.  At least with the busy on busy when in a call setting, it will route to voicemail and use the Teams application settings set by the user on their client.

@matte1990 I've looked at the busy on busy option. It might be a solution but still not perfect as it will just send the call directly to voicemail instead of allowing me to choose if I want to answer.

Also, it needs Teams Admin right to be able to activate it, which I don't have in my org.

I agree, it is definitely not perfect, and you are correct, an account with Teams admin center access would need to make the change. I am honestly shocked MSFT hasn't integrated this option into the Teams native client by now.