Teams app Read Receipts causes lag

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

We have a few users that get severe lag on Teams when read receipts are turned on. The UI becomes super slow/unresponsive, typing takes a few seconds to show up, etc. We confirmed that turning it off will resolve the lag with no issue. And no, it is not a hardware issue because our machine specs are high. Using the browser version will be fine, but the app is preferred.

For reference, others are also experiencing this too: see here, here, here

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

Hello @Palpapull   There was an article online from an external Microsoft source that described this very problem and suggested turning the Read Receipts feature off in the app, or using the web version.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftTeams/comments/hjvreo/teams_being_laggy_try_turning_off_read_recei...

Hi Therese! Yes, I wrote that in my original reply too. What I'm asking is whether or not there is a solution to this. What if users want read receipts on? Is there something that can be done?

Edit: Oh lol. The reddit thread you linked to was supposed to be my third link, but I hadn't copied it down correctly.

@Palpapull,

Did you ever resolve this issue? I've been dealing with a slow and/or unresponsive Teams Desktop App for months due to this issue. The web and mobile apps appear to be unaffected.

My company controls the Read Receipts feature at the company-wide level, so I have no way of turning it off individually.

@ThereseSolimeno,

This doesn't resolve the issue for people that want to use Read Receipts on the desktop app. Do you know what else I can try?