SOLVED

Teams app crashes when sharing the screen

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I'm currently running the Teams app 1.3.00.13565 (64 bit) running on Windows build 19042.388 (Version 20H2) and when I am on a call and share a screen (tested with entire screen or specific app) the teams app completely crashes. I've checked in the event log and am consistently seeing the following entry when the crash happens:

====

Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Microsoft Teams because of this error.

Program: Microsoft Teams
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0

====

There is actually 2 Application errors, and a Windows Error Reporting entry that come in unison. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, as this is stopping me from being able to fully work at the moment

Thanks in advance

Mark

28 Replies

Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall Teams client? If not do that and clear cache.

1. Uninstall Teams

2. Restart computer

3. Clear cache (https://commsverse.blog/2018/09/28/clear-the-microsoft-teams-client-cache/)

4. Install Teams

For testing you could also try to change the resolution of your screen and see if it works with a lower resolution.

You could also try with the newer version of Teams client, 1.3.00.19173. https://statics.teams.microsoft.com/production-windows-x64/1.3.00.19173/Teams_windows_x64.exe

Thanks @Linus Cansby 

I've tried the resolution change and also reinstalled, but not cleared cache. Will try that now

Will let you know what happens

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.

I've seen a suggestion elsewhere to check graphics drivers, so going to give that a try

Having the same issue with MS Teams Version 1.4.00.7174 (64-bit) and Windows 10.

anytime i call someone with teams then share my screen it crashes (same error in the event viewer as above). This does not happen in a call with multiple users. just when i can one person then start sharing.

workaround for now: instead of calling someone, just share the screen with them first, then share the audio by clicking "unmute".

@nazirkabbani weird symptoms, but I would still suspect the video drivers above anything else.

@MarkMiddlemist_Mercato 

This is not a graphics card or driver issue.  It worked OK on the same machine more than a year since the pandemic started.  All of sudden, Teams started to crash whenever sharing the screen.  I'm almost sure that it started to happen after automatic cumulative and security updates.  MS, FIX THIS!!!

@Wrangler1730 

Thanks for the comment. I'm not sure what was going on. I actually had cause to do a clean install of windows a while ago, and it's been fine since then.

Hope anyone else experiencing the issue can get a proper resolution though

I have found that I have had to uninstall and then reinstall the teams app to correct this issue. In an emergency, I think logging into the webapp through edge continues to work just correctly with the share.

@MarkMiddlemist_Mercato 

I have same issue since last month. There was no problem before but it was started suddenly. When I start screen sharing on my MS program, the program automatically shuts down. I tried reinstallation, updating and removing temporary files whatever was suggested by others but did not work. However, I can share my screen through web (Edge or Chrome). I have totally no idea what should I do.

I'll be honest the only thing that actually solved this for me was a complete clean reinstall of Windows from scratch. No hardware has changed, but for some reason it worked on the clean setup. Sorry it's not better news, but hope this does help

Hi @MarkMiddlemist_Mercato,

I am facing this issue from last couple of days. Below are my system configurations:
1. Windows 11
2. MS Teams for Work
3. MS Teams version 1.0

Problem
When I share my screen and stop sharing then Teams getting crash. It happened with me every time.

Applied Solution which did not worked
1. Reset Teams Cache
2. Delete Teams Cache
3. Uninstall and Re-Install

I will really appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Hi @Hiren_Dave,

I seem to be facing a similar problem for the past few weeks. One workaround that I've found is that if I join the teams call with my phone in addition to my laptop, the call doesn't drop out when I share my screen. Mileage may vary, not sure that it will work for you, and clearly a temporary solution but it might be worth a try? 

@Hiren_Dave Same here. Started about 2 months ago. Can only resolve by rebooting the machine. One is on W11 the other on W10

@MarkMiddlemist_Mercato not sure whether this counts as necroposting, but for anyone like me who just had this problem today and is looking for a solution, I fixed it by turning off the HDR of the ultrawide monitor from Display Settings.

@gq9999 thanks a lot. I solved this problem using your advice. Your necropost is usefull ;)

Thanks a lot!  :hugging_face: 

You just confirmed what I finally found out.
It took me days to research what was crashing Teams all the time.
So, Windows 11 turns HDR automatically and Teams doesn't like it at all.
It's sad that both Windows and Teams are from different companies! They could have fixed this internally. ;)

@AndreGauthier This worked! it was the HDR all along; one of my monitors was capable of having HDR and was automatically on when I switched my laptop to windows 11! Thank you! 

Thanks @gq9999!
I created this account specifically to like your post and thank you.

This issue was really blocking me from doing my work (crash on my laptop screen with HDR) as a consultant since working on my new laptop that had that setting.
I've notified my colleagues as well and they're relieved too.

Microsoft, please look into this!

Yes, i still have the crash of Teams when i started to sharing the screen on an HDR display ON.
Plz fix this !
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.

I've seen a suggestion elsewhere to check graphics drivers, so going to give that a try

View solution in original post