Teams app crashes on Carplay

Brass Contributor

Hi, here is my setting:

iOS 13.5.1 on an iPhone 7

Teams version 2.0.15

When I use the Teams app on iOS to join a call, everything works well.

However when I connect it to my CarPlay system, the app consistently crashes after around 1-2 minutes. It kind of freezes my CarPlay (I cannot select any other icon on my CarPlay screen).

This is super annoying as I take my calls when I commute to work, and this is absolutely useless.

My iPhone is connected via USB cable to my CarPlay car audio system.

39 Replies
Hi, am I the only one with this issue ?

Hi @ppmsft  I don't know if this helps but I did a search on "Teams crashes CarPlay" and there were several articles that seem to imply there's a CarPlay problem, not a Teams problem, with suggestions like contacting the car's manufacturer (yikes!).  Anyway, you may want to do the same and see if the articles provide you with a solution.

Hi @ThereseSolimeno 

Thanks for the hint, but the links returned from the search engine either point to posts I made in different forums reporting the issue, or use the term "teams" as the generic meaning of a group of people. 

If you have 1 specific link that you can share, I'd be happy that you share it here.

In any case, I have no issues with other apps crashing my CarPlay, so it definitely comes from poor coding of the Teams app. I am amazed that none from Microsoft at least tries to reproduce the issue or chimes in this conversation.

Hi again @ppmsft    We're not supposed to share links by sources other than Microsoft, which is why I didn't post any of the ones I found :-).

It often takes a few days for members of the community to respond to the posts (we get 3000-5000 per month), and sometimes the MVPs will try to replicate the issue if they can - it's really for Teams users to have discussions amongst themselves.

Have you posted your question to answers.microsoft.com?  That is more of a tech support site that is managed by internal Microsoft personnel and they can give you personalized responses.

@ThereseSolimeno I just posted on answers.microsoft.com Let's see what happens.

Same problem here also. Crashes on CarPlay. Worked great until about 3 weeks ago.
Good to know that I am not the only one! Thanks for sharing !

Hopefully Microsoft will notice and will fix it in the next release.

Strange that Apple, as part of the app update validation process on the app store, does not test lack of issues in a CarPlay environment.

@ppmsft I am really fed up with the lack of a proper fix for this issue. From two iOS updates ago, there has been a problem with Teams crashing carplay. It is definitely Teams, it is the only app that causes carplay to crash and cycle reset. It does it on my 2019 F150, my 2020 Cadillac CT6 V and my wife's 2018 Mercedes E350. It is the only app that does this and it is consistent every time.

We need a fix to this. It even happens when you are accessing a Teams meeting via the call in number...this is ridiculous

@ppmsft   Did you ever get a response from Answers.com?  I have also reached out to our Product Group to get a satisfactory response to this issue.  Please stay tuned.

@ThereseSolimeno Hi, on answers.microsoft.com, the person misunderstood the issue and other users reported having the same issue. I see a recent update on the App Store for the Teams app, but in the notes nothing was mentioned about the CarPlay fix.

I have the same issue. It started a few weeks ago (6/30 was the first time) so must've coincided with an update. I'm 1-2 minutes into a conversation, the screen on my car goes black, the screen on my phone goes black (except for a circulating timer symbol), then everything restarts, the car audio system restarts, the phone come back and CarPlay connects again. If I try to connect to the Teams call again, the exact same thing happens. My only solution is to connect to the car audio through Bluetooth but then I don't have the steering wheel controls, which is less safe.

iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 7 Plus

Teams 2.0.16 (Build: 1.077.2020071102) just re-installed

2019 Mercedes C300 (it's not the car, that was working fine)

Same scenario as Jez_B except mine started crashing first part of June. Everything goes black but a spinning circle on my IPhone X. I can connect thru Bluetooth, but lose some functionality of the Team app.
Hi
I have the exact same issue
Started about 8 weeks ago, possibly after an iOS update, but there have also been so many teams updates cannot be sure which update broke it.
Using 2018 Ford F150

I had a successful Teams call this morning over CarPlay after deinstalling Teams for iOS and reinstalling. Fingers crossed it continues to work. Just wanted to share in case that resolves your issues.

@ppmsft I have the same problem with my iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 13.5.1 using wireless CarPlay. Very annoying. Strange bit is problem even occurs if I make a regular telephone call out to the Teams conference line. 

Retested this week and it seems to be fixed now. Only tried one call so far but it was a 2 hour call and the call controls were also visible. Seems hopeful the last iOS or teams update has fixed it.

My Teams still crashes with the same symptoms (phone timer, reset and passcode to access, and CarPlay resets, probably with the phone), so the Teams reinstall didn't help. Still OK on bluetooth so definitely looking like a Teams issue. I do not have an issue with CarPlay with any other apps. I am trying a reinstall again as maybe it's an issue that needs memory/cache cleared.

Come on Microsoft, this is the not the only type of crash you are risking. People rely on using Teams in their car. CarPlay makes it safe to use while driving by giving you steering wheel control and car screen display. Get your act together.

Teams version 2.0.18 (Build 1.077.2020072902)

iPhone 7 Plus

iOS 13.5.1 (will install 13.6 tonight)

2019 Mercedes C300

@ppmsft @Doc36 @GregJeffriesOSU @Jez_B @Mark_Stokes 

Thank you for the feedback and info..  In order to understand this problem more fully, can a couple people who are having this problem send in logs?  DM me and we will arrange for that.  
iOS 13.6.1 solved this long standing issue on my iPhone.