Teams and Sharepoint: making a custom Word template available to all MS Teams workspaces

Brass Contributor

We're about to roll out Teams to our staff. We don't use Sharepoint, other than as the back-end for Teams, so we have no in-house knowledge of it. We have a custom Word template that we want to make available globally, via Teams - so that any member of staff who creates a new Word doc via Teams can do so using our custom template rather than the Teams default (for house style reasons).

I've figured out how to add a custom Word template to an individual MS Teams workspace. I go to its Sharepoint site, then Documents, click New, and select the option to Add Template. When I've uploaded our custom template I change the display order of the template list so that ours is at the top.

Surely we don't have to do this for each individual Team's Sharepoint site? Is there a way of uploading the template to a single location that will automatically cascade to each individual MS Teams workspace? I've searched online but drawn a blank (maybe because I'm new to Sharepoint and not using the correct terminology when I search?).

7 Replies

Hi @LynnProspect   I'm unable to tell from  your description:  how many Teams do you have in your organization?  There is an old post in this community that offers a few viable suggestions: Share a file in multiple teams - Microsoft Tech Community

@ThereseSolimeno We'll have about 50 teams in total. I'm not sure the process described in "Share a file in multiple teams" would work. This is specifically about making a template available when staff use the 'New' menu in the Files tab of a Team channel. 

I'm so disappointed that nobody has come up with a solution for this! It seems like such a basic requirement - the ability to deploy a 'corporate' Word template across all the Teams Sharepoint sites in a tenant.

Hi @LynnProspect

Have you ever figured this out?
I'm in the same situation and I need to deploy a corporate Word template to all our Teams and Channels. (app. 200)

@sbo_77  I also would love to know... any answers to this yet?

Hi @ashroots unfortunately not.. If you have any update, please let me know. :) @LynnProspect, Do you have any update on this? 

Unfortunately not @SimonBoeve. We're still manually adding our Word template to Sharepoint for each MS Team we create. I'm sure there must be a better solution!