SOLVED

Teams and Power Query Excel file

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have an Excel file that I am sharing from within a Team. The file is created from within the current version of Excel ProPlus and is shared with someone else who also has ProPlus but just this one person.

The file has 50 Get & Transform queries in it. If the file is opened in the ProPlus desktop version of Excel from within Teams my computer locks up, so much that the only option is the power button to restart it. My laptop is running the 32bit version of Office ProPlus, has a Xeon processor and 32Gb of Ram. I hope to have the 64bit version installed when our IT department get round to it just to see if that makes any difference to running the queries whilst shared..

If I save the file somewhere else and open it then the file runs ok, it's just when it's shared via Teams. Is this what I should expect? I have shared a similar file that instead of using PowerQuery it uses VBA code to basically do the same thing. With that file we can both open the shared file and run the VBA code at the same time without any issues whatsoever. I wondered whether other people have managed to successfully use Power Query files whilst they're shared. The queries will normally run on any PC and when stored in the cloud without an issue, I'm just not sure on whether the sharing is causing an issue.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Mark_Adams (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Workaround is to use a sharepoint link to share the file! It won’t be opened in Teams then but rather in excel online! You can then open it in the desktop app

@adam deltinger 

Thanks for your reply, I opened it in SharePoint from the link in the Teams' Files menu 'Open in SharePoint'. I will try loading it into a full SharePoint site and running it from there to see if that's what you meant.

It seemed to be working fine but again the computer started acting like it was an old 386SX. I used the Windows Task Manager to close Excel and there were 2 Mashup processes running that didn't close with Excel. It was only when I force-closed those that the laptop was responsive again. It may be a 32bit Office issue as the Excel app was using 960kb and the 2 Mashups had about 250kb each. Will try the full SharePoint first...

Do you have any issues with other files?
It seems somethings wrong with that one :\
Tried creating a new file and copying over the data and formulas?

@adam deltinger 

That file works perfectly whilst stored in OneDrive...and also if I upload directly into a full SharePoint site. But not from within a Teams site at all. That's strange but may point to something that's not set-up correctly in our Teams config maybe. I will post in our company Yammer and see if someone else here can try a similar experiment. 

@adam deltinger 

That file works perfectly whilst stored in OneDrive...and also if I upload directly into a full SharePoint site. But not from within a Teams site at all. That's strange but may point to something that's not set-up correctly in our Teams config maybe. 

Na, nothing about Teams config! Something in there that Teams don’t like
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mark_Adams (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Workaround is to use a sharepoint link to share the file! It won’t be opened in Teams then but rather in excel online! You can then open it in the desktop app

View solution in original post