SOLVED

Teams & SharePoint Sites

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Need some advice regarding Teams & SharePoint. 

When I create a new Teams in Teams (or when anyone creates a new Team) I discovered that a new SharePoint site is created as well. This concerns me as I am afraid this might lead to data fragmentation (when users share files/attachments in Teams, these will automatically get uploaded on the SharePoint site as well).

Do you know how I can turn this feature off and if yes, is this going to have any impact on how users can create sites directly from SharePoint moving forward?

Thanks

Rocs

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
There's no way to alter this behaviour. Teams rely on SharePoint to store all files. All files in Teams are stored in the corresponding SharePoint site

Adam
Hi Rocs - Like Adam said SharePoint is used for file storage in Teams. I understand your concern about files getting stored in multiple locations. As you learn more about the relationship between Teams, SharePoint, and OneDrive. I hope you find that this unlocks some functionality that you can you use. E.g Add a tab to a channel to a SharePoint page, list, or library. Use the OneDrive sync App to sync files in Teams (SharePoint) to your computer... .and more.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
There's no way to alter this behaviour. Teams rely on SharePoint to store all files. All files in Teams are stored in the corresponding SharePoint site

Adam

View solution in original post