Teams Admin: Number Features says "SMS off" how do we turn it on?

Brass Contributor

Below is under Voice > Phone Numbers:

Teams-SMS-off.png

I can't tell you how excited I am to see this but I can't figure out how to change it to SMS on. Also curious to know what "SMS 4 apps off" means, is there an App we need to add to teams to enable this?? Let me know if anyone else sees this and maybe knows how to enable it via PowerShell or another method.

Thanks again to the Teams Product Team!! Great job!!

Jason

8 Replies

@ITSourcePro I see it too, and I'm really hoping it means they are adding sms capability to ms teams. But I don't see how to turn it on. 

I talked to MS Support, and they provided the following link:

Add an SMS participant to a group chat - Office Support (microsoft.com)

As far as I can tell this only applies to the personal version of Teams, not the corporate version. Not sure why it requires you to start a group chat but can still work 1:1 with a SMS number. I can't wait to see this finally over in the corporate version of Teams.

Jason

This is a classic case of the support staff not knowing what you're talking about but coming across something on google they hope you will take as an answer and let them close the ticket.
Any news on this? When's the next AMA for Teams Calling??
I dont see this but i would love to hear more about it. hopefully we do start seeing this soon in some way.

SMS text notifications

This feature is now part of Teams Premium.

SMS text notifications are currently available in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

You can control whether SMS text notifications can be sent to external attendees for virtual appointments scheduled by your staff in your organization.

By default, this setting is on, and SMS text notifications are enabled for all Bookings calendars in your organization. Keep in mind that Bookings admins and schedulers can later choose to turn off or turn on SMS notifications on an as-needed basis in scheduled appointment types and scheduled individual appointments.

To configure this setting, go to the Microsoft 365 admin center > Settings > Org settings, and then choose Bookings. Select or clear the Allow Microsoft to send SMS text message notifications check box.

@Bruce Knox I don't think that is the feature most are interested in. We want to know how to enable SMS Chat in the licensed version like the free version offers.