Teams Adds Pop-Out Window for Personal Chats

MVP

Microsoft Teams offers users the chance to pop-out personal chats into a separate window. The feature works for any 1×1 or group chat, including federated chats with users in other Office 365 tenants and with Skype consumer users. The deployment of the pop-out feature starts in early April and should be done worldwide by the end of May.

https://office365itpros.com/2020/04/10/teams-pop-out-window-personal-chats/

17 Replies

@Tony RedmondHas anyone seen any updates saying this could be delayed for some? Its now May and still no update, despite running the latest version from 5/6 (1.3.00.12058)

@Donovon Dildine Patience. Multiple moving parts need to be updated before the feature is enabled. The client is a big component, but server changes must happen too.

@Tony RedmondUnderstood, does this mean changes internal administrators need to make (to approve the feature per say?)

@Donovon Dildine You don't need to do anything. When the feature appears, it's available for everyone in a tenant.

@Tony Redmond we got our pop out chats today. However I noticed that when I initially hover over an existing conversation the pop out chat functionality is not initially there. But when I open the chat the pop out feature appears if I return to recent chats

njc123_1-1589750061653.png

If you do not have it available but others in your organization do you might try quitting and restarting Teams. A college had the option and I did not; Following a restart it immediately showed up for me too.

One problem I noticed is the ctrl-scroll to zoom doesn't work in the pop-out window. Can this functionality be added there as well? It would be sufficient if it matches the zoom for the primary teams window. Thanks!

@Deleted Now, how do you make the window no longer pop out?  Once I selected a pop out window, it's always popped out now.  

Has anyone else figured out why pop-out chat doesn't work/isn't available when you're logged into an organization as a guest? Is it documented as such?

Does anyone know if this feature is scheduled to be rolled out to the Gov cloud?  I know there are some features that are rolled out to the Enterprise clients (custom background...)but not in the Gov cloud, I'm wondering if this is one of them. @Tony Redmond 

@jjablau Hello, in case you're not familiar with the M365 roadmap it's a great place to follow feature updates and releases for all apps and services. I've filtered this link to show GCC and Teams updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=GCC%2CMicrosoft%20Teams

@Tony Redmond does anyone know when/if it will be possible to pop out chats for bot apps as well as personal users? We have a company chatbot in Teams and would like to be able to pop out those chats as well

@ChristianBergstrom  Thanks for that very helpful link. Does anyone else see which of those updates might incorporate the ability to pop out Teams chats in the GCC channel (not sure if that's the right term)?

Do we know if Teams will be adding the ability to pop out the Chat feature as a group similar to how Skype was organized?  IE: Chat channel pops out as a whole instead of individually?  Currently popping out individual chats creates too many windows to manage. @Tony Redmond 

@Tony Redmond , can you adjust settings so all chats pop-out (similar to Skype), or do you have to click it for  each chat?  If not, i would suggest that feature, thanks.

@Tony Redmond 

Thanks for providing the pop out chat. Team's is catching up to Skype functionality and use models.

There are some UI features that seem to have not been inherited:

Zoom does not work to adjust the text size. I have my zoom set to 85% and the popout appears to be 100% with no way I can find to change it.

1. Cntrl -(minus) does not work.

2. Cntrl-scroll does not work.

Why would this window not inherit the same abilities is puzzling.

How do i permanently disable the teams pop out chat. This is nothing but a nuisance and annoyance. I will never use this feature. The only thing i have found is I can un-check the selection in settings for turning on the new meeting experience. I want to turn this off - i have to uncheck this and restart teams every day due to this "feature" that is not wanted and I will never use. 

@SCCMGUYCMH Don't enable the new pop-out experience and you won't use pop-out windows.