SOLVED

Teams across multiple accounts, how to get messages?

Copper Contributor

We run a consulting company and have switched to Teams. We have our own account and are now as well created as guests in 3 different customer accounts. Our problem is that we do not get chat messages from the 3 other accounts only from the one that we have as selected.

How to get chat messages displayed from different accounts? 

14 Replies

Hi, @christiangierahn 

Please check my blog here

http://cloudcompute.info/add-external-contacts-in-microsoft-teams/

It shows as short video on how to create external accounts as contacts in your tenant and to establish Teams association with them

Hope it helps !

Thanks,

Manu

@manuphilip

Hi

So you suggest I have to add the users from my different clients as users in my own exchange and AD to get messages across accounts, that can't be the right approach 

You will get notified of messages in guest tenancies via the tenancy selector (top right in Teams desktop app) and via email - depending on your notification settings.

A good tip when working with multiple tenancies is to access the guest tenancy via Microsoft Edge and from the Microsoft Edge options, select apps then, "install this site as an app". You can then quickly launch the browser into the guest tenancy and have it open at the same time as your primary desktop app.

@James Mallalieu 

Hi James

I can open Teams in Edge browser, no problem

But where to find "options" and "select app" in Edge?

Hi @christiangierahn ,

As I showed in my video, you may ned to create different Teams for your each extrenal clients. At the same time, you are the member of all Teams to enable you to access them all and they will be separated too

Thanks,

Manu

@James Mallalieu 

Hi James

Now I understand

But I do not have the "app" available in my Edge. Probably an configuration somewhere?

Version: Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0

You need to be viewing Microsoft Teams in Edge for the option to appear.

@James Mallalieu 

Stange - I am opening Teams in Edge - see the screenshot

hmmm, looks like you are running an old version of Edge, my version is Version 83.0.478.54?

@James Mallalieu 

Hi

I ran windows update and got a new version of Edge. Now i have the "app" function

I added Teams as an app

Was the idea that each account could have its own app? Because I can only add Teams as app once  

best response confirmed by christiangierahn (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Great. So I use the Edge app for accessing all my guest tenancies and the main desktop app for my primary tenancy. Yes, that does mean that you still have to still switch and so I look out for notifications on the tenancy switcher, or email notifications of activity.

It really helps if @mentions are being used, or you follow channels in the guest tenancy so you only need to switch when there is activity you are interested in.

@James Mallalieu 

Hi James

I get it now, thanks. So now I can have my home account open in the application and one of the customer accounts open in the Edge App. I think I can even run a 3 login on Firefox :)

@James Mallalie Can Teams add a feature to main desktop app to provide notifications / messages from any signed in account.  Currently I don't get messages unless I run multiple Teams - one from desktop, one from phone.  This is very inconvenient.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by christiangierahn (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Great. So I use the Edge app for accessing all my guest tenancies and the main desktop app for my primary tenancy. Yes, that does mean that you still have to still switch and so I look out for notifications on the tenancy switcher, or email notifications of activity.

It really helps if @mentions are being used, or you follow channels in the guest tenancy so you only need to switch when there is activity you are interested in.

View solution in original post