Team Retention policy

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

Can someone please help me to understand the following.

1. When you delete a MS Team it can be restore by going to the group portal and restore from there. This will restore the full MS Team. But this is only for 30 days window from the delete date.
  2. What will happened after the 30 day window. Assuming I have set up retention policy for (7years retention) Tame chat , channels, SharePoint and Microsoft 365 groups.

I know because SharePoint retention policy the relevant SharePoint site wont delete and the files can be access directly from the SharePoint site. But:

• How can I restore the whole Team ?
  • How can I restore individual channels belongs to the team ?
  • How can I restore individual chat?

OR

It is not possible to restore the deleted team or channel or individual chats after 30 days?

In this case we have to use SubstratesHolds folder in the group mailbox for the team?  If so what is the PowerShell command please.

Thanks.

5 Replies

@Nip17 

I think your goal is to archive teams. If you need for example a team again, you can reactivate it. Please see the following informations to that: Archive or delete a team in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

You are not going to be able to do a one-click restore, retention is not a backup solution. The underlying O365 Group will transition into "inactive" state, data will be kept but only for compliance/eDiscovery purposes, and will not be accessible by clients/end users.

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks for your reply. But even if we use a third party backup system I dont think we can restore the whole team as it is , isn't it? Specially chat and message store in differnt mail boxes and file stored in SharePoint and recording stored in agin sharepoint and ondrive.  

So I m not sure even with a third party backup we can restore a deleted team as it is after 30 days, Do you know any product? 

As you have mnetioned with native M365 retention we have to use Get-RecoverableItems to check the group mail box folder and then use e-discovery for more anaysis and get the deleted items individually. 

Thanks.

There's no proper backup/restore solution for Teams, it's mostly marketing fluff. Tony did series on articles on this, here's one of the latest: https://office365itpros.com/2020/06/10/teams-difficult-backup/

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks Vasil, Yes I m following all his articles. Really help full.