Tams chat - everyone losing access after meeting ends

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I have a lot of regular Scrum meetings and lately people have started to complain that after call ends they see "no longer has access to the chat" message and can't write to the chat.

Googling the solution showed that the problem is relevant and related to the invited external people, but we are all from the same organization - there are no external participants in the initial invitation.

My first guess was that I'm sending an invitation via Outlook to a Distribution List that contains a lot of participants, so I tried to re-create series with direct emails, but that didn't work.

Right now I'm guessing the reason is that I sent out the meeting request with "Request Responses" button disabled...

Maybe someone here had the same problem and can suggest the correct way to solve it instead of trying all the possible options?

5 Replies
Hi, this is the official info but I have the impression that people experience inconsistencies even though they have also verified the meeting chat settings in the meeting options.

Who can see the chat for a single meeting?

People who are invited to the meeting or forwarded the meeting invitation after it is scheduled have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).

People who are added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting join coordinates in another way) will have access to the chat from the time they join to the time the meeting ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.

Who can see the meeting chat for a recurring meeting series?

People who are invited to the full series have access to the chat before, during, and after the meeting (up to the 1000-person limit).

People who are forwarded the invite of a single occurrence of the series or added to a meeting after it starts using the Invite someone field on the Participants pane (or are provided the meeting coordinates in another way) have access to the chat from the time they join to the time that meeting instance ends. They will not be able to see chat that takes place after the meeting ends.

Note: These changes do not impact channel meetings.

@ChristianJBergstromI've seen this official info before and am posting here as the behavior I see is different from what is expected after reading the official notes.

Please read my initial post carefully - I have recurring meetings with people on the invite for the series, but they lose chat access.

I'm simply acknowledging the behavior (first part), while adding the official info (second part).
We have a similar issue ... it is very frustrating! There is a related thread on this that might be of interest although there is no answer there either: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/why-someone-cannot-see-chat-after-leaving-the...

We run staff development workshops and have this issue. We use a shared calendar to create the event and make the event a Teams meeting. Initially when participants were added they were added via Outlook for Web as Optional invitees.

We then switched to adding participants as Required invitees - same issue.

We have tried adding participants using Outlook Desktop Application and this seems to get around the issue.
We just had a similar issue. It was a meeting created in Outlook Desktop on a Mac from a group calendar. We had about 10 people invited but only 3 of us logged in (the rest attended live in a conference room). After the meeting ended, the Teams chat listed the three people who had logged in as "no longer has access to the chat". The crazy part is that others who didn't log in to the meeting do have access to the chat. And also, the three people do not have access to the recording in the chat, everybody else does though.