SOLVED

Sync button on channel not working anymore

Steel Contributor

Hi,

i (and many other colleagues) experiencing a problem with the sync button within the Teams channel.

I can click on it - but nothing will happen.

- There is no special sign in the display name

- The library itself is not synced

- Newest windows updates installed

- on the sharepoint site it works

Version OneDrive is

Version Teams is

Version Windows is

Anyone else has these problems? I did not start Fiddler yet

best regards

Stephan

63 Replies

I again had the issue myself. I checked for updates on the computer and none were needed. I signed out of Teams and back in and this also did not fix the issue. I was able to use Teams via the web at office.com and this worked. Finally, I signed out of the Teams client, rebooted and then signed back in. The issue was resolved at this point.

@Chris Webb  This works for me. thanks!

@Chris Webb - thank you. Closed OneDrive and signed out of Teams. Restarted and Sync button is working again.

Had the same issue and can confirm it works again after I

1. Closed OneDrive
  2. Signed out of Teams
  3. Directly signed into Teams again (without reboot)
  4. Clicked the Sync button (without having started OneDrive again)
  5. Teams restarted OneDrive and following that it is syncing the selected Teams Files folder
This works for me! Thank you!

@StephanGeeSame here.

I opened a ticket with Microsoft. They walk through the workaround and do not get to a fix. This is now my pain in the neck for the past month. Clients call, I attempt to talk them through the workaround, though I usually end up having to remote to show them how to do it. They then get frustrated after several times that this fails and call me to make a stink. I point to the ticket that I refuse to close until there is a FIX(!!!). They let it ride for a few more days and then come again. Yeah, I'm sick of the workaround nonsense - patch it, Microsoft!

@AXS_Prime We concur!  This issue has been observed in several to many different tenants (client sites) for the past few months.

@Erol Eraybar Same here... it has affected almost all our userbase (~15-20) so small numbers but high percentage affected.  I've also raised a ticket and been given the same workarounds.  Logging out/in works for a day or so then the Teams button fails again so users are now opening in SharePoint.  This has opened another world of pain as up until this point, users were ignorant of SharePoint as they did everything through Teams and now they are confused as hell about 'what this SharePoint thing is'.  And let's be honest, there is no explanation that works for anyone other than a techie!

@UG These steps worked for me. Issue is resolved.

@UG - Unfortunately this did not work for me. Still no response when clicking the "Sync" button (in the Teams Desktop app at the top of a Files tab in any Channel - just to be clear).

I have also tried:

• Searched several other forums and similar questions on Tech Community
  • Renaming the "IndexedDB" folder to "IndexedDB_OLD" - it recreated the "IndexedDB" folder, no effect.
  • Manual check for updates in Windows, Office, Teams, and OneDrive - all up to date, no effect
  • Deleting the Teams cache content "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache" - no effect.
  • Clicked the Sync button in various other Channels and Teams lots of times to no avail, and started to swear a bit

...the workaround of clicking "Open in Sharepoint", signing in through the browser, clicking "Sync" there, accepting the open in OneDrive prompt, then finally "Start Sync" in the OneDrive box, does work. But what a pain in the arse.

PLEASE fix Microsoft

@TTAdmin @UG - update...

FFS, after all of the above, I signed out of Teams, Closed OneDrive, and Restarted my computer. Signed back in to both, and the Sync button now works! (for now).

All I can recommend to others is try the few steps of updating and signing out, but then also restart...

Good luck!

The solution to sign-out of OneDrive and Teams, then restart the computer only works temporarily for me.

I don't sync folders very often, but just about every time I have to sync a folder (every other month or so), I have to sign-out of the apps and restart the computer. It works for a while, but the next time I have to sync a folder, which could be within weeks to months, it stops working again, so I have to do it all over again.

Sync was not working on 2 machines for me, but logging out of Teams and back in corrected the issue immediately.

@SC-BPC - hmmm yep sure enough, my sync button has again stopped working. This time, as @NormPollock suggests, logging out (and quitting Teams, then reloading) and logging back in again corrected it.

I really hope MS fixes this soon.

Microsoft Verified Best Answer

@StephanGee Thanks for calling this to attention. Looping in @Miceile Barrett and @Sreeram Ramamoorthy for awareness, plus I'll kick off an internal chat on same. 

For the immediate work around when you hit this issue, please navigate to the connected SharePoint team site (where the content is stored) and click the "Sync" button when you are on the document library or specific folder you want to sync; related help article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/sync-sharepoint-and-teams-files-with-your-computer-6de9ede8-5b6... 

- Mark Kashman (SharePoint product manager)

@Mark Kashman Wanted you to understand, this issue has been observed for several months in several different tenant accounts.  We find Asking folks to use this workaround is a bit embarrassing, and serves only to destroy everyone's credibility and the product's integrity, as the issue drags on with no end in sight. Also, coincidentally and perhaps Not, in the same Tenants we have started to observe when attempting to configure New Retention Management Policies for OneDrive and SharePoint Sites, the Policies fail to deploy. We seem to receive a consistent error message with a Distribution Result found saying, "Policy cannot be deployed to the content source due to a temporary Office 365 datacenter issue. The current policy is not applied to any content in the source, so there's no impact from the blocked deployment. To fix this issue, please try redeploying the policy."  Deleting and Recreating the Policy, Attempting to Restart Policy Propagation, Deploy with PowerShell, etc. have shown no success.

Hi,

I experienced the same issue at our side as well as on customers side. As you mentioned this ''workaround'' is nonsense and not really an aswer to your customers. I am curious what MS replied as an fix for your ticket? Or is it stil open..
From what I have gathered, there is a fix in the testing pipeline for this issue, no ETA on actual release.

@Chris Webb 

That's good to know. It works for most of the users though - but we recommend syncing the documents library at root level so there might be a bigger number of users concerning this.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Hope a fix is indeed in testing pipeline. If you know an ETA on actual release, could you please let us know via this post?