SOLVED

Switching organizations in Teams desktop client

Copper Contributor

I am a member of two organizations, org 1 (role: owner and admin of my organization) and org 2 (guest of my customer's organization). Until most recently I was able to switch to org 2 with the dropdown menu on the left of the profile pic - this menu disappeared. I can still access org 2 via the mobile client.

Any suggestions?

32 Replies

@Mike_ETC FYI, the next day I started seeing the account switcher button permanently. I don't know what happened overnight, but now it's working!

@rickytenzer, et al:

Update: This issue seems to be resolved for me as well. After waiting overnight then quitting/restarting Teams desktop again, the org dropdown control reappeared.

1. MS support believes the test Team it created had not fully propagated through all of Azure cloud at the time we were testing. Support waited over an hour specifically for this reason, but apparently 90 minutes was still not enough time for changes to impact my desktop client. 
  2. A second work tenant should've been in the org list, but coincidentally, I was temporarily disconnected from that tenant for a different reason.
  3. A free Teams tenant I created months ago and switched to many times also does not appear in the list. We're still looking into that one. (Perhaps it will appear later this year after Teams is added for MS 365 Home and Personal subscribers.)

So, as far as Teams desktop was concerned, I was only a member of one organization until 24 hours after joining the test Team created by support. Still, I don't think the org switching control should ever disappear—even with only 1 org in the list. Also, others belonging to more than one org reported the same issue. My speculation is it's probably a temporary glitch due to recent changes in the Teams client and/or framework behind tenant switching. 

Can confirm this is still an issue, we had it in our previous tenant. Migrated to a new, existing tenant, same behaviour. First login the button is there, next time it's gone. No way to get it back. About time Microsoft fixes this

We have this issue as well. It is embarrassing to invite clients to participate in Teams and then have to tell them that they have to open a browser window to view our organization when they are using all their internal stuff in the Teams app. Sort it out please !

Elizabeth

@jaybee1615 

Hi, we also have this issue with some of our users.  The drop-down menu is missing.  They have to use the link in the invite email to switch to another tenant and then they cannot switch back.  They have to close out of Teams to switch back.  Does anyone know if there is a fix for this that we can do or is this something Microsoft is going to have to fix?  Thanks for the help.

@jaybee1615, Thought I would toss in an update.  As of now we can replicate this "issue" in all three environments (web, client & mobile).  There is most certainly no rhyme or reason behind it and it has nothing to do with any form of "rights" or access credentials as we have opened ourselves up wide to test.

Microsoft really needs to address this quickly!  With their ongoing Ad campaign AND the continuation of Covid 19, the amount of people working remotely and relying heavily on tools such as this it's only going to get worse if they do not correct this problem....food for thought.

@jaybee1615 try logging off and on in the desktop client. Usually this fixes it

@jaybee1615Hi folks,

Just to keep everyone in the loop.  I spent the better part of 3 hours, with a MS Tech on my computer, while we troubleshot this issue.  I'm still no closer to a resolution.  I will keep everyone posted.

@KirkMcCurdy 

Closing the Teams desktop app and killing the Teams background tasks with the task manager fixed it for me.

@AndiK42, fixed what?  Closing the desktop app and killing the background tasks actually allowed you to re-open the desktop app and now be able to switch organizations?

@Mike_ETC sorry no resolutions here. I am just adding that unfortunately I have the very same issue as you have so well described. I know my colleagues are having hard times with it as well.

Since 2 years, I have had access to two Teams:

1. My employer's

2. My customer's

Both of them are visible on desktop and in browser just like they are supposed to.

Now I have an invite to a 3rd team, let's say from Microsoft. I can open Teams in browser and can see the dropdown containing three options. However, on the desktop I can still see only the original two options. It does not help if I shut down Teams completely and restart again.

If Teams desktop app is running and I click "Already have the Teams app? Launch it now", nothing happens. However, if I close Teams and click the same "Launch it now" link on the browser, the desktop app nicely opens in the new Microsoft organization, and I can see all three options in the dropdown with the Microsoft team selected. New problem: when I switch back from Microsoft to either one of the original two options, the Microsoft option disappears for good. The very same happens also within the browser client.

I need to add that I have a colleague who currently has access only in our employer's Team (number 1 in my list). She is struggling with the same issue with me when she is trying to add our common customer in her Teams (option 2 in my list). That's the very same customer that I have visible in my dropdown menu without issues since 2 years. Something must have changed which has broken this functionality.

Have you tried switching it off and on again?

Signing out of Teams once and then back in helped me.

BR, JN

@JNiemi after extended amounts of troubleshooting, one morning the 3rd organization just was there in its right place in the dropdown - no reboots, logouts, link clicking, nothing done in between. I still find this very confusing and somewhat broken but for me personally it works now - at least until I need to add 4th organization someday. Sounds like many others are experiencing similar problems and then them getting corrected later after a "random" action.