SOLVED

Switching organizations in Teams desktop client

Copper Contributor

I am a member of two organizations, org 1 (role: owner and admin of my organization) and org 2 (guest of my customer's organization). Until most recently I was able to switch to org 2 with the dropdown menu on the left of the profile pic - this menu disappeared. I can still access org 2 via the mobile client.

Any suggestions?

32 Replies
best response confirmed by jaybee1615 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @jaybee1615 ,

There are issues with O365 today, its due to lots of demand on Office 365 from all the remote workers in Europe.

Expect a few more issues until the bottle necks are found and ramped up by Microsoft.

Andy

@Andrew Hodgesthanks, that makes sense. It's a huge opportunity for MS Teams and I hope that they can quickly provide the resources needed.

@jaybee1615 

I have seen it before - until you ramp up the demand you don't know what is going to be an issue first. I am sure they can iron out the issues quickly and once all the new users and businesses are on Teams the opportunity will outlive the current disruption. 

@Andrew Hodgeshaha - with hundreds of schools moving all their teaching to MS Teams and organizations going online, the datacenter guys are having a busy time :)

Hi @jaybee1615 

Are you still having this issue? With the increased usage of Teams in my org I've run across this issue. One team leader is also a member of a Team from another Org and can only switch between the two in the Teams mobile app or Teams web version, the same drop-down is missing in the desktop client.

Same here - work on mobile and web - not desktop. Anyone know ETA on the fix ?

@AlexoMSTEAM Same issue here on my Windows laptop, but the dropdown to switch organizations is there on my Macbook. I would like to know about a fix too.

@jaybee1615 

I have a similar issue but now I cannot switch orgs from within a browser either.  I have some people that work and others that do not.  Of course, as Murphy's Law would allow, the 2nd in command doesn't work while the receptionist does.  Do we have any idea as to how long this is going to last?  Has anyone heard?

@jaybee1615 

I am having this same issue today. Our organization has just tried to join teams in another partnership organization as "guests" and it does not give us the option to view the team within our desktop app. We are able to switch organizations in the browser and the phone app but we most primarily rely on the desktop app so we would love a fix to this as soon as possible.

@jaybee1615 

Interesting find...it would appear that Microsoft is trying to "catch up."  One user...we just let him "sit" with what he had and what worked and then one day the Team he was asked to join just appeared.  Still no rhyme or reason to this issue.

MS better get it fixed though.  It's no ready for prime time if he can't do the ONE thing that it bases it's entire "shtick" around.

@jaybee1615 This worked fine for me at my previous company on a different computer. However I've started at a new company this week, and no longer works.

On a rare occasion I will be able to sign in to desktop with both, but when I click the button to switch, an empty white box appears rather than the usual drop-down list. On web (never tried before now), it looks like you just can't do it? 

@nessacarson, the signature options are there.  They can choose between 3 different "styles" of signature it's just that the actually signature doesn't show up in the blank e-mail.

I guess I'm not sure what that last comment's about, but I've found that it is possible to switch organizations without issue on the web portal. I suspect I'll have the issues again when I close my browser and try to reopen, so I'm going to refrain from doing that for now. 

Is there a solution for the Mobile App to switch from organization to organization? I am an admin in my own organization and a guest in another. I have been able to toggle between organizations in my desktop client but not on my mobile app this far. @jaybee1615 

I too stumbled upon this issue when trying to join another organization's Team. The only solution I found was to quit my Teams application before trying to join with the link that they provided: it opened Teams into the guest account for their organization and I was able to see the organization switcher button at the top. However, upon clicking on my organization's account, I lost the button.

This is a pretty big feature to be missing! When can we expect it to be fixed?

rickytenzer_0-1591627562836.pngrickytenzer_1-1591627580134.png

@rickytenzer I believe your issue is more based on Desktop application and not mobile application? Based on your snips of your screen that you have provided. 

Unless you mentioned that as just a reference point. I'm really trying to solve the mobile application issue. For the Desktop Application I eventually got it working and gosh I wish I could remember what I did to assist everyone. Short memory!

@JackPaystarAccount yes this is related to the Desktop client. I would love to hear of a permanent solution!

@rickytenzer are you sure you had the right settings in the new organization you are trying to join? I had to check with this article and walk the other organization through ensuring their channel had the right settings. 

This may not help, but this was able to steer our conversation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/communicate-with-users-from-other-organizations

@jaybee1615, et. al:

I can confirm this issue in two different small business tenants where I'm global admin plus a personal tenant I'm owner of. I've been only logged into one of the work tenants for the last couple months, but the org switching control I used many times before is missing from my Teams desktop client. It used to be in the upper right corner just left of the account profile avatar. 

Since I already had a Teams-related case open for another matter, a Microsoft support rep got to see this issue first-hand on my PC. I opened a Teams browser instance and organization switching was missing there as well. Support had already provisioned a test tenant and invited me as a guest so we could test our original guest login issue. We also wanted to see how a guest invite would impact tenant switching.

Some interesting and, in some cases, troubling things happened after I clicked on Open Microsoft Teams in the invitation:

1. A Teams login page opened in the browser as expected. We chose to open in the desktop client. Windows switched to desktop Teams app, but nothing happened. There was no prompt to switch organizations.
  2. I went back to the browser instance and told it to open Teams in the web browser. It opened a new tab, logged me in successfully under my work profile and the organization switching control appeared where it should be in the upper right! 
  3. I refreshed the Teams web tab that had already been open (see 2nd paragraph above) and an org switching control suddenly appeared in that instance as well.
  4. In an effort to troubleshoot the desktop client, we quit out of the running instance and restarted Teams. Still no org switching control. Next I logged out and back in. Still no control appeared. 

The Microsoft support rep was equally surprised. After checking for known issues and coming up empty, he promised to check with his colleagues and research this further. I sent him a link to this thread.

Teams Desktop client version: 1.3.00.13565 (64-bit)

Browser: Microsoft Edge ver. 85.0.538.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Windows 10 Pro ver. 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Note: The article posted by @JackPaystarAccount shows the difference between external (federated) and guest users, but that wasn't a factor in this case. We were working strictly with non-federated member and guest user access. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jaybee1615 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @jaybee1615 ,

There are issues with O365 today, its due to lots of demand on Office 365 from all the remote workers in Europe.

Expect a few more issues until the bottle necks are found and ramped up by Microsoft.

Andy

View solution in original post