SOLVED

Switching Between Main & Guest Account in Desktop App

Copper Contributor

I've recently received a link to join a client's MS Team, and on my mobile app I have noticed the separate account when selecting top left options icon, under "Accounts and Orgs".

On the Windows Desktop app, however, I can not find a way to switch between these two accounts.

In the following post, I noticed a screenshot with an icon for the accounts on the bottom left panel, but I do not have those accounts available.

Switching-tenants-in-Microsoft-Teams

https://dispatch.m.io/switching-microsoft-teams-tenants/

My window looks like this:

image.png

How do I switch between my main Teams account and the Guest account on the Windows Desktop app?

19 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Sign out of the desktop client and sign back in and see if this gets you the org switch

Thanks, after signing out and back in, the account selector is now visible top right, thanks!

rudiminty_0-1596122360352.png

Hi @rudiminty   FYI - if you don't want to keep signing in and out, you can always keep one account open in the desktop app and the other open on the web.

@ThereseSolimeno It's pretty disappointing that this is the best Microsoft can come up with.

One should be able to see "Foreign" teams (where they are a guest) in their own organisation without having to switch profiles.  How silly. 

Hi @adam deltinger , I have exactly the same issue as @rudiminty but I cannot solve it by just signing out and then back in. I received a link from a partner to participate as guest to their team. However, I cannot switch to this guest account on the desktop or the web app. The account selector is not visible.

Screenshot_4.png

When I click the link they sent me, it opens the team only if I select "Use the web app instead" and not if I click "Launch it now" to do it through the desktop app.

Screenshot_1.png

On the web app I can access the team, and the account selector is visible. However, when I choose to switch back to my main account, the selector is not visible anymore, exactly as it is in the desktop app. Similarly, on the web app, I cannot switch to the guest account If I am logged in my main account.

Screenshot_3.png

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Please sign out of all Teams accounts and close Teams app. On restart you should see the option to change profiles.
You can click on your account top right (showing your status) and select "<- -> Accounts & Orgs" and you should be able to switch (hopefully).

Thank you for your response @Michael_S11 . Unfortunately it didn't work. I signed out from all my Microsoft account tabs and apps (email, calendar, Teams) and restarted my computer. After the reboot, I opened Teams but I still see the same as before.

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

Do I miss something?

@chrichr exactly the same issue. I can switch on the web and on my phone but the desktop app doesn't allow it and the "launch it now" for desktop teams does nothing. Is it too much to ask that the experience is consistent across platforms (perhaps especially for the Windows desktop app!!).

I have run into the same issue. My external guest is unable to see her company Teams site AND our company Teams site in the Desktop App. She is able to see it from web based.
Conversely, I am a member of 2 external Teams sites and I can see them both from my Desktop App. Is there a 'switch' that needs to be enabled by her IT department? Could it be as simple as that?
I'm currently stuck in the same situation.
If I access the external company as a guest, I can see my own company and switch to it, but, as soon as I do so, the external company disappears from the list.
So, when I have to re-access the external company, I have to close (quit) Teams, find the invitation email, click the "Open Microsoft Teams" button that opens the browser, and here chose "Launch it now" (aka open Microsoft Teams), then I'll be directed to the external company in Teams.

I've tried logging out of the Teams account, quitting teams, opening it again and logging in. But still, I can only switch from the External Company to 'my company', and if I do, I'll have to quit Teams again, finding the mail.... ... ..

The web version seems to be acting in the same way.

@rudiminty 

Exactly the same issue here, so it appears that the issue has not been fixed for over 2 Years.

Once opening the Web Version through the invitation link, I can see the Organization in which I am the guest, as soon as I switch to my main org the switch is not visible any more.

When Clicking the link and choosing to open the desktop app, my main org is opening, but not the guest org. The guest org also doesn't show if I just open the Teams App (We are on Mac)

Same Problem with multiple accounts.

@adam deltinger  and @ThereseSolimeno do you know of any settings that need to be adjusted in my main org (guest access, etc. is already enabled) in order for this to work as anyone would expect a paid product with the option and focus on collaboration to work like?

Any Hints how to fix that? I've got the same issue as a previous posters.

Try Clearing Cookies for Teams desktop App (Instructions Below):

• If Teams is still running, right-click the Teams icon in the taskbar, and then select Quit.
  • Close Outlook.
  • Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows logo key sumit2604_0-1670347284288.jpeg+R.
  • In the Run dialog box, enter %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams, and then select OK.
  • Delete all files and folders in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams directory.
  • Restart Teams.

@sumit2604 

this is no local problem.

got a user who switched to a new system, fresh installed windows and teams, same problem.

@DThau In our case it just started working 48h after joining the second Company, no need to clear anything.

however, only the main org is able to send notifications via desktop notifications, so we currently need to check the second org manually to keep up to date.

So... I think I figured out a way to get this working.  I tried clearing out the Teams %APPDATA% folder per above and that didn't work for me.

However, then I logged out of Teams Desktop and Quit Teams Desktop app completely. Then I opened the team to which I am a guest in my browser and selected "Get Link to Team" in the team context menu:

TonySileo_0-1678716036930.png

Then I closed that browser tab and pasted the link into a new browser tab, and allowed it to open the team MS Teams Desktop App.  Now - I can finally see both my main account and the guest account in MS Teams Desktop, just like in the browser:

TonySileo_2-1678716277068.png

Tony

@TonySileo OK, I am seeing the exact behavior as the previous user - I have to get the web link from the web page and open it via a new browser tab to see both of the organizations where I have an account.  Am I right in assuming that after 48 hours or so this will clear up, or is there some configuration item I might have missed?  I do agree that the difference between the two applications is a little concerning.

Ron Harper

There is a workaround that helps our organization overcome this issue for a while.

1. Invite guest user then wait for acceptance from guest
2. You are an organization user sends some random messages to that user
3. Microsoft then will send miss message notifications to guest user email
4. Guest users click the hyperlink in his/her miss notification email then will be automatically changed to your organization
Afterward, your organization will be shown on user Teams then they can switch it from Teams

Hope this can help you on this issue.

@rudiminty 

have the same issue.

The behavior ofthe desktop application should be the same asthe mobile application. The process to do this is as follows:

1. I click on the meeting link, and the SWITCH button appears, allowing me to switch accounts.step1.png

2. After clicking the SWITCH button, the option 'Join as a guest' appears.
    2.png

3. Finally, after click on "Join as a guest" it allows me to enter the name I want to appear with as a guest in the meeting.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-09 at 10.30.21.jpeg

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Sign out of the desktop client and sign back in and see if this gets you the org switch

View solution in original post