SOLVED

Suddenly can't edit Word files into Teams

Copper Contributor
Hi

Yesterday suddenly I can't make changes to my Word files inside the Teams platform. It seems like I can only view them. I can edit them though when I go to the online Word or the desktop Word.

Anyone who knows how to solve this problem?

Kind regards
Maxim
5 Replies
There are different issues on Teams lately, and this one might be one of them. I will be sure to report the problem so Microsoft can be aware of it

@Maxnot3446 

Because of the coronavirus as many are now working in cloud services. It gets too high load

Check your Message Center - 

MC207443
Stay Informed
Published On : March 24, 2020

To best support our Microsoft 365 Education customers worldwide and accommodate new growth and demand during these unprecedented times, we are making a temporary adjustment to Office document behavior within Microsoft Teams for students and teachers.

How does this affect me?

For students and teachers working with Office documents in Microsoft Teams, we are beginning to roll out a temporary change where there will be an additional step in order to edit a document. This is a change from current behavior that allows users to go straight to edit mode when clicking on a document in the "Files" tab of a channel, a conversation, or from inside an assignment.

In all cases, upon clicking on the document, users will first see the document in view mode - they will be able to see the document content, but not make changes.

In order to edit the document, users need to click on the options in the top right of the white bar above the document content and select "Open in Browser" or (for users with Office for Windows installed on their device) "Open in Desktop App". This will open the document in Office in a separate window from Teams and allow the user to make changes.

What do I need to do to prepare for this change?

No action is necessary, this change will happen automatically. We recommend notifying users proactively if possible, so that they continue to understand how to edit their Word documents in Microsoft Teams without interruption.

Please click Additional Information to learn more.

@Maxnot3446 

Because of the coronavirus as many are now working in cloud services. It gets too high load

MC207443
Stay Informed
Published On : March 24, 2020

To best support our Microsoft 365 Education customers worldwide and accommodate new growth and demand during these unprecedented times, we are making a temporary adjustment to Office document behavior within Microsoft Teams for students and teachers.

How does this affect me?

For students and teachers working with Office documents in Microsoft Teams, we are beginning to roll out a temporary change where there will be an additional step in order to edit a document. This is a change from current behavior that allows users to go straight to edit mode when clicking on a document in the "Files" tab of a channel, a conversation, or from inside an assignment.

In all cases, upon clicking on the document, users will first see the document in view mode - they will be able to see the document content, but not make changes.

In order to edit the document, users need to click on the options in the top right of the white bar above the document content and select "Open in Browser" or (for users with Office for Windows installed on their device) "Open in Desktop App". This will open the document in Office in a separate window from Teams and allow the user to make changes.

What do I need to do to prepare for this change?

No action is necessary, this change will happen automatically. We recommend notifying users proactively if possible, so that they continue to understand how to edit their Word documents in Microsoft Teams without interruption.

Please click Additional Information to learn more.

best response confirmed by Maxnot3446 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Carl-Fredrik Persson 

The change has not been well received by the community, it takes unnecessary leaps. Collaboration platforms must be practical. I hope the Microsoft Teams group will reconsider the change as ineffective

Regards

Enrique

@Carl-Fredrik Persson 

Thank you for passing that along. Is there any indication how long "temporary" will be? I have several teachers planning activities around Teams and the ability to collaborate with students in Word and PowerPoint. It is so much nicer for the students to be able to process everything in one place...a super selling point to Teams normally.

Thank you,

Alex

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Maxnot3446 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Carl-Fredrik Persson 

The change has not been well received by the community, it takes unnecessary leaps. Collaboration platforms must be practical. I hope the Microsoft Teams group will reconsider the change as ineffective

Regards

Enrique

View solution in original post