SOLVED

Students chat privacy in Teams for education

Copper Contributor

Recently I heard that teachers in Teams app have access to private messages exchanged between students. Is it possible?

10 Replies

@Grzegrzyk If a student switch from a conversation in a team channel to a private chat group the teacher cannot see that conversation.

@ChristianBergstrom Is it the same with school IT administration? What about teams created for students by students?

best response confirmed by Grzegrzyk (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Grzegrzyk A private chat is a private chat. Now this is very easily explained, but as an admin for org/school/business you could configure settings to see almost everything. So technically yes, but then you would violate all kinds of regulations and policies and be entitled to legal actions and penalties.

As a teacher and the "owner: of the channel, how could I go about viewing chats between students?  Also is there a way to mute private chats without muting the student's ability to post on the general feed?@ChristianBergstrom 

yes It is possible, if not most likely it will be in an update.

Well im a high schooler and my teacher disabale my chat i9i think so we need to figer out how to undo it

Do you got the Id and password

what was the chat called?????
umm hello i am new here
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Grzegrzyk (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Grzegrzyk A private chat is a private chat. Now this is very easily explained, but as an admin for org/school/business you could configure settings to see almost everything. So technically yes, but then you would violate all kinds of regulations and policies and be entitled to legal actions and penalties.

View solution in original post