Strange system messages in Teams – General Channel

Steel Contributor

Hi all. Hope everyone is well. I have been noticing something strange with Teams for a while now. There are actions linked to the owners of a Team, but they did not carry out these actions. Example if a global administrator removes a user from an Office 365 Group the system message says that an owner of the team has removed them when that is not the case. Any ideas?

2020-06-15 09_04_40-Weird actions on Teams - Message (HTML).png

4 Replies

@Navishkar Sadheo Hello! Teams has some background workflows that perform actions on behalf of existing owners when syncing changes from Groups to Teams. This has now been fixed though!

• Roll-out for standard release tenants will begin in mid-June and be complete in mid-July.
  • Roll-out for government tenants should begin in mid-August and be complete by the end of August.

"System messages, e.g., who has been added or removed from a team, will no longer be posted to the Channel pane. This will not affect compliance logs."

@ChristianBergstrom 

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I heard about system messages being moved from the general channel to a separate info pane. That is not my issue. My issue is the inaccuracy when it comes to system messages.  For example if a global admin who is not a member of a specific team removes a user from an Office 365 Group using the Azure Active Directory Admin center for example, the system message in the general channel says that one of the owners removed the member. This is not correct. Even in the audit, it shows that one of the owners of a team removed the member.

2020-06-17 11_16_57-Connections - TTAFDATVXMR1 - Exchanges - Royal TS.png

@Navishkar Sadheo Hello! That's my point with the previous reply.

"Teams has some background workflows that perform actions on behalf of existing owners when syncing changes from Groups to Teams."

As you're not doing it with an existing owner a random owner is chosen for this message. It will be fixed I'm sure.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. There was many questions going in certain Teams in my organization witch owners questioning each other at to why they added terminated staff back into the Teams etc.

The fact that the audit log doesn't accurately log these events is also alarming but hopefully, it will be fixed soon.