Start video with blur not available

Copper Contributor

We are not able to see this option in Microsoft Teams whlie video calling / Meetings "Start video with blur option", how to fix this?

Thank you,

Suresh B

8 Replies

Hi,

Your computer have to have Advanced Vector Extension 2 (AVX2) graphics, that is build into newer processors, from Intel Haswell and later. So if you have a newer computer it should work.

I've seen that for a couple of users with the same type of computer it work for all except one, that user reinstalled Windows and then it started to work again.

So check if you have a colleague with the same type of computer and see if it works for them.

There is not much you can do to enable Background Blur, either it works or it don't work.

This is a new Microsoft / Surface Go, It was working until last week, suddenly it stopped showing that option.

Strange... A quick search shows that Surface Go got the Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y processor with AVX2 and since it been working before it should that be hardware related. 

Do you have Skype Consumer installed on your computer? That software also uses AVX2 for background blur.

You could try to uninstall Teams and install it again. If that did not work, uninstall Teams then clear cache and then install Teams again.

https://commsverse.blog/2018/09/28/clear-the-microsoft-teams-client-cache/

@Linus Cansby 
Background blur in Skype for Desktop is also available without AVX2.

@KemGJ 
I also have blur in the regular Skype (not skype for business) no problem with it.
Within Teams, it's just missing... :|

(CPU is i7-3740QM, VGA is Quadro K3000M, webcam is Logitech Webcam 500)

I wish it'd work on teams too...

I have the same problem on my surface go, 8GB model. Will try that out. Any luck from anyone else? Working great on my work Lenovo laptop though.

@Keith CopelandMy background Blur worked and now it does not.  Checked and my Processor Xeon E3-1200/2nd supports AVX2. That makes me think that if I was to roll back to an older (Dual Video adapters Intel HD 3000 or NVIDIA 4200 in my case) I might get it to work.  Too bad the manufacturers don't make the configuration of this clearer.

Did you have any luck? I hadn't tried in a while, but sure enough Background Blur and custom background images are all working on my Surface Go. I'll assume either updated drivers or Teams app fixed it.