SRV record conflict between on-prem SfB server and Teams

Brass Contributor

Hi Community,

One of our customer currently has Teams tenant and the required DNS records in Public DNS. But there are some higher officials accounts requires on-prem SfB server for security reasons.

Customer would like to enable SRV records in on-prem for automatic sign in, external sign in etc. They don't want to create hybrid deployment.

The reason is we need create the SRV record, _sipfederationtls_tcp.contoso.com pointing to on-prem Access edge for external signin.

Similarly we need to create the SRV record for online Teams signin pointing to sipfed.lync.online.com

Questions:

1.Is there any conflict on SRV records required for on-prem external, automatic sign in and Teams users sign in ? (Because we don't have hybrid deployment but the domain is same for on-prem and online, but there is no hybrid, split domain,  for example Contoso.com)

2. Will public DNS accept two similar entries (_sipfederationtls) one for on-prem and another one for Teams tenant?

Any guidance would be of help. Many thanks!

1 Reply

Hi @Newlife ,

Not a direct answer to your specific query but I am concerned by the reason of using SfB on prem over Teams.

I would argue that Microsoft would be able to secure any infrastructure better than any single business but that is subjective I suppose.

Back to the DNS point, I can only recommend that you follow official Microsoft guidance. As to be honest if you are wanting to make use of On Prem and Cloud technologies that is 100% the reason for Hybrid deployment options and to do otherwise, working or not, is going to probably be unsupported and a big business risk because of it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/plan-your-deployment/network-requirements/dns

Thanks

Henry