Spell checking language wrong in desktop application

Copper Contributor

I have Windows 10 Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043 and Teams "1.4.00.29469 (64-bit)". Windows is in English and in Teams I'm using Finnish UI because I want to get the date and time in local format. In Windows I'm using Finnish keyboard.

Problem: in latest version of teams the spell checking is always happening in English :facepalm: Why?! I'm using Finnish application with Finnish keyboard and all of sudden the Finnish spell checking has disappeared and all the words I'm writing are marked as misspelled. Where can I change this setting? I know I can turn off the spell checking but it would be still nice I could use it in Finnish as it was earlier working.

2 Replies

@pirkkali 

Because Windows is in English, and that's what the spell checker will follow. It is meant to detect if you are writing in another language, but perhaps it doesn't recognize Finish.

I don't know but couple of weeks ago this was working perfectly. For example in this Edge browser the spell checking is still working well and recognize Finnish.

This is typical problem in software: software developers are assuming users have only one language they use in all communication while in reality many people are using two or three different languages every day.