SOLVED

sorry we couldn't find c:XXX is it possible it was moved renamed or deleted One Drive?

Copper Contributor

yesterday we transferred our files from Dropbox to Teams/OneDrive while opening some excel files, the message appeared and after two hours it solved automatically! but now I have the same issue with different files in a different path!

and it's hard for me to change the path of files/folders. any proper solution for this, please!

5 Replies
best response confirmed by hanasmaginternational (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@hanasmaginternational 

There are 2 things that could be happening here:-

1. The file path is too long - there was a recent updated but it is still restricted to 260 characters. (Most Likely). This is a hard limit and you will have to re-organise the file structure.  No way around it. 

2. There are linked excel files within the file you are trying to open that need relinking or removing. 

Andy Hodges | ThinkShare | www.thinkshare.uk

@Andrew Hodges 

I have changed some paths it's worked,

I want to reduce the number of characters (folders name/path), as by deleting the duplicated name of the channels and folders in OneDrive/Teams, is there any way to avoid duplicate name?

FYI I fixed subject message by going:  Options, addins, Manage Excel addins, Go, Uncheck the offending entity, Ok, Ok, etc.

Exit Excel, go back in, issue resolved.

You are legend very short effective and helpful it works for me thanks a lot

@Andrew Hodges 
A bit late, but...
There is a way around the path limitation...
You can map an unused drive letter to the last folder in the long path that is below the limit.

Example:
Long path: C:\some\very\long\path\assume\250characters\somefilename.ext (assume this would be over 260)
Trick:   (in CLI) Subst P: "C:\some\very\long\path\assume\"
New path: P:\250characters\somefilename.ext
Then, if needed: (in CLI) Subst P: /D

Hope this helps (even if it's been long)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by hanasmaginternational (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@hanasmaginternational 

There are 2 things that could be happening here:-

1. The file path is too long - there was a recent updated but it is still restricted to 260 characters. (Most Likely). This is a hard limit and you will have to re-organise the file structure.  No way around it. 

2. There are linked excel files within the file you are trying to open that need relinking or removing. 

Andy Hodges | ThinkShare | www.thinkshare.uk

View solution in original post