SOLVED

Someone is typing indicator no longer appearing in chat

Copper Contributor

Hi, I wondered if anyone is experiencing anything similar in Teams at present.

We appear to no longer see when the other person is typing in Teams whether it be a one on one conversation or group chat?

Any ideas would be helpful.

4 Replies
I’ve seen the same! Probably another issue due to the ongoing problems with service right now.

Probably fixed soon

Adam
best response confirmed by HPearch (Copper Contributor)
Solution

That's part of the measures they introduced to reduce the load on the service:

To best support our Microsoft 365 customers worldwide and accommodate new growth and demand during these unprecedented times, we're making temporary adjustments to select non-essential capabilities. We do not expect these changes to have significant impact on the end users experience but wanted to make you aware.

Examples of changes we may make include:

• how often we check for presence
  • the interval in which we show when the other party is typing
  • video resolution

We will provide further updates to this Message center post should the situation change.

@Vasil Michev Thank you very much for the confirmation on this. 

Please consider reintroducing this feature asap.

It is absolutely having an enormous impact on me as a teacher because I often ask questions and have students type long answers. Very frequently I assume that no one is going to answer and so answer myself, only for a long answer to get posted shortly afterward. It is frustrating for the student who has gone to the effort of responding and it negatively affects the opportunity to learn as a class.

On top of this, and probably even worse - I will often wait a considerable time waiting for a response only to get nothing and have to follow up myself. Given that this situation can easily happen 15 times per lesson I can end up losing a huge chunk of the lesson and it has a big negative impact on what students are able to learn.

Yes, it would be better if the students could speak to respond but many of them are very shy and becoming more so due to lack of social interaction, so text response is the best I can hope for in many cases.

I am trying to insist that students put their hand up to let me know that they are responding but it is very hard to actually get them to do this.

Please reintroduce the feature, I am very surprised if this feature really makes a big difference to the load on your servers. Also, this has been an issue for about half a year, surely you have had time to upgrade your servers right now.

Sincerely, a struggling teacher.

@Vasil Michev 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HPearch (Copper Contributor)
Solution

That's part of the measures they introduced to reduce the load on the service:

To best support our Microsoft 365 customers worldwide and accommodate new growth and demand during these unprecedented times, we're making temporary adjustments to select non-essential capabilities. We do not expect these changes to have significant impact on the end users experience but wanted to make you aware.

Examples of changes we may make include:

• how often we check for presence
  • the interval in which we show when the other party is typing
  • video resolution

We will provide further updates to this Message center post should the situation change.

View solution in original post