Skype for Business Server with Teams for Collaboration

Copper Contributor

Hi community,

A client will deploy Sfb Server on premises soon, but only wants collaboration features from Teams. I would like to know if there is a way to have Skype for Business Server (on-prem) and use Teams ONLY for collaboration, a sort of SfB with Teams collaboration coexistence mode, where SfB is hosted on prem.

Regards,

4 Replies
You must have Skype for Business Online setup in Hybrid mode to your On-prem setup to get this scenario working. Is there some compliance reasons or something preventing you from at least starting in Skype Online? I would try avoid starting Skype on-prem mixed with Online if you can avoid it at this point.

Hi Chris, Thanks for the quick reply. Our client current has Skype for Business Server 2015. They are migrating to a new domain and initially wanted to implement Teams. Long story short, we won't be able to implement Direct routing as Audio Conferencing (which they currently use on their existing setup) is not available in Morocco. This is one of the problems, along side the limitations within the interoperability Teams-SfB. So they decided to deploy a fresh SfB on the new domain but also want to use Teams collaboration features.. Why would you avoid mixing SfB Server with SfB online ?

Didn't mean it that way, I meant starting Online if possible, cause eventually I feel there won't be on-prem and it'll be forced, so just thinking down the road from having to migrate again. If you have that direct routing requirement then it only makes sense why you are doing it. I figure there was something like that :).

Anyway, your scenario should work fine with on-prem for calling, and teams for collab. This page has quite a bit of info around it. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/migration-interop-guidance-for-teams-with-skype

@Turismon null

I will read the article and post a feedback on the thread.

Companies based in countries where Teams is not "fully functional" will hesitate to migrate. There are rumors that say Skype for Business will die some day and be replaced by Teams. As long as Microsoft don't make Teams offline capable, SfB will be around still IMO