Skype Consumer unable to message Teams users without Teams users first intiating contact

Copper Contributor

I have an issue where Skype consumer messages will not come through to teams users unless the teams user first messages the skype consumer user. In addition, after the teams user messages the skype user, back and forth messaging will work for awhile(6 hours or so), then the skype consumer user will once again not be able to message the teams user unless the teams user once again initiates the conversation. Regardless if the teams user initiates conversation or not, if the skype consumer user tries to call the teams user, it will fail 100% of the time. It rings on the teams user end, but when they answer the call, it still stays at "ringing" and will never connect. 

I have 2 open tickets with Microsoft 365 support currently, they are unable to find a solution to this.

All DNS entries are verified, all settings appear to be correct.

This initially started when I created a new tenant in the Australia region, at first I thought it was isolated to the Australia region because I have set up over 100 tenants, I created test teams users on about 9 of those tenants, and they all worked(these were all in the US region). 

I then migrated data from the Australian tenant over to a new US region tenant, however I still had the same issue. I thought there might be some things internal to Microsoft still pointing over to Australia, so I set up a new test tenant in the US region, however the same issue is happening to this test tenant as well.

It appears any new tenant is having this issue, but not the old ones.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any ideas or know if something is going on with Microsoft on the backend for skype consumer and teams operability?

2 Replies
In the Teams Admin Center, using Users > External Access, do you have the "Users can communicate with Skype users" option checked? I'm sure you will have, but I Don't see this mentioned in your post.
Yes that is set to external, I've also verified in powershell all the settings are correct. Maybe Microsoft making some moves on the backend? If anyone has recently(within the last month) set up a new tenant they could test this with it'd be appreciated.