Skype Coexistence Mode to Allow Chat in Teams and Skype

Copper Contributor

My org is still using Yealink phone with Skype FW due to missing Teams features.  Our coexistence mode is still in Islands mode and we use both skype and teams for chat/meetings. 

According to MC232035: New default experience: when PSTN calls are transferred to users configured with the coexistence mode of Islands, the calls will be routed to the user’s Teams client. 

If you wish to retain the transfer experience to the Skype for Business client until the Skype for Business Online retirement date, you must set the coexistence mode to one of the following:

• Skype for Business only
  • Skype for Business with Teams collaboration
  • Skype for Business with Teams collaboration and meetings

We are would be fine with using "Skype for Business with Teams collaboration and meetings", but this completely disables chat in Teams and from what I can find there is no workaround.  

I guess I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if it is possible to have both Teams and Skype chat with one of the coexistence modes above?  This seams like a weird design choice, especially considering the Teams phone firmware is missing many of the features we are using with Skype, which is preventing us from switching to TeamsOnly right now.

1 Reply

Hi @coreycarpet, unfortunately it is not possible, no. Any of the mentioned Upgrade policies will disable the chat function in Teams.