Skype Add-In gets disabled when switching multiple accounts(guest) between MS Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi,

When I'm switching Teams current account to guest account then below changes happening and skype addin gets disabled , sometimes both skype and teams addin disabled from outlook.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers – String value is changing from Lync to Teams

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\UCAddin.LyncAddin.1 – Dword value is changing from 3 to 0

Is there anyway to keep the below value unchanged or constant in regedit?

IM Providers should be always Lync

UCAddin.LyncAddin.1 - Loadbehavior value should be always 3

13 Replies
I can reproduce something similar:

Teams and Outlook open - Teams connected to my own tenant - Teams add-in is visible and working in Outlook.

In Teams, switch to a tenant I am a guest user in.

In Outlook, Teams add-in is still visible

Close and re-open Outlook - Teams add-in is no longer present.

In Teams, switch back to my own tenant, then close and re-open Outlook - Teams add-in is back.

It appears to delete the whole reg key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TeamsAddin.FastConnect and then add it back in when you switch back to your own tenant.
Yeah as Rob pointed out, Outlook add in status / reg keys will update based on Teams current user / tenant connection when it's opened.

My recommendation is always just keep your Teams Desktop client in your home tenant and use browser or something like Franz to access your other tenants. Then you don't have to worry about it changing up until Microsoft irons out support for multi tenant / multi login.
I have a support ticket open about the behaviour - I'll update here when I know more.
Not really - the ticket is still open - they are still investigating internally.

I think it's pretty simple, because, when you switch to a guest account, as mentioned in article guest user does not have permission to schedule a meeting. Since the guest account does not have permission to schedule a meeting, Outlook might be disabling the add-in. Another reason could be, in SFB you needed same account in Skype and Outlook to schedule a meeting. Same would be carried over in Teams. Since the user account in Teams and Outlook are different, add-in is disabled. 

@Chris Webb 
But this do not explain why Skype addIn is removed from Outlook right? It doesn't make sense when in another tenant in Teams will disable the possibility to create a Skype meeting from outlook in your tenant?

@Markus Johansson If the add-in is still there, you won't be able to create a Skype meeting, when Skype sign in is different than Outlook primary SMTP, and that is known behavior for long time.

@Tejas_Haria Agree, but if you are in Island mode you can easily be logged in to your home tenant in Skype and Outlook but as a guest in Teams. Then it should be possible to create a Skype meeting in your tenant right?

Hi @Say_Much 

Running this PowerShell script will add an access rule to DENY the current user the right to SetValue on this registry key. Then Teams (running in current user's context) won't be able to change the value anymore and the Outlook-plugin stays enabled. :smile:

$regPath = 'Registry::HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\UCAddin.LyncAddin.1'

Set-ItemProperty $regPath -Name LoadBehavior -Value 3

$acl = Get-Acl $regPath
$acl.Access | FT *

$idRef = [System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]([System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent().Name)
$regRights = [System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::SetValue
$inhFlags = [System.Security.AccessControl.InheritanceFlags]::None
$prFlags = [System.Security.AccessControl.PropagationFlags]::None
$acType = [System.Security.AccessControl.AccessControlType]::Deny

$rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule ($idRef, $regRights, $inhFlags, $prFlags, $acType)

$acl.AddAccessRule($rule)

$acl | Set-Acl -Path $regPath

$acl = Get-Acl $regPath
$acl.Access | FT *