Show more than 4 people on Teams video

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Looking back through previous forum posts, it looks like there have been plans to expand the max number of windows shown in calls from 2x2 to 3x3, so you would be able to see 9 people on video at a time rather than 4.

Has there been any progress on this? You're probably aware that a huge number of people are now working from home, so this would be a very useful feature to have at the moment!

Thanks

Mike

84 Replies
No. My company has Webex and we had over 40 for a happy hour all showing at once. You work for Microsoft? lol
No security concerns because we’re not posting passwords on social media like those Zoom users. Teams needs to be at least like Webex For meetings and it’s not.
Ha ha no I do not work for Microsoft! Maybe my husbands company is running in an older version of WebEx? Not sure. Sorry!

Has anyone heard further updates on the 3x3, 9 people roll out?

@Streaks74 

Currently, the Teams website only allows for 2 people, the mobile apps (Android and Apple) for yourself and 3 others, while the desktop app allows for the 4 latest speakers and shows a thumbmark of your feed at the bottom right corner.

@alowry 

Hi

You can vote here to keep the pressure on Microsoft to deliver:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17010055-show-video-for-all-pe...

Thanks.

It also shows progress ie you should see 9 people shortly.

KR

Derek

Thanks for the link, @Derek_Hart !

Seems they better act quickly or they are going to lose even more customers... quite a frustrated forum at the moment. Let's hope they prioritize it! Thanks again.

@Mikehopkins18 Microsoft has confirmed that this feature will be rolled out in June 2020. It will not be enabled by default until later to give people a chance to get used to the new features first.

See attached screenshot of Microsoft's release.

hello

@RussellShulin 

Interesting that this timing does not quite align with various bits of publicity or what is stated on the vote page:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17010055-show-video-for-all-pe...

It would be really great to have that facility.
I suppose they kept the 2*2 feature because not more than 4 people would be speaking/contributing in the conference video call.
If more than 4 people talk in the call then it may turn out to be a jumble.
Hence they must have kept the 2*2 thing.

I also could only see one person at a time when I openedTeams through Office 356 but when I accessed the meeting from the Teams App I was able to see 4 people. Hope that helps

@AnnaBre 

Is there any news on when it will be improved in Citrix.

You can only see one person at a time when using Teams in Citrix!!

Zoom doesn't have that problem...

Thanks

@danieldunn10000 

Hi,

I suspect you are viewing on a browser on Citrix and that is normally more restrictive.

If your IT Team download the Teams App for you then you will see 4 and more in the longer term.

Generally you will get less functionality via a browser than an App, and that applies to Zoom as well.

KR

good to finally have this feature of at least 9 people on screen at once!

Plus we got the "Raise Hand" button which i quite like!

@Rob O'Keefe 

Agreed Rob - it was actually quite exciting seeing the 5th person appear on a meeting yesterday, then the 6th, then the 7th, and 8th but  .... there were only 8 others in the meeting so I am still waiting for total fulfilment!

Got to celebrate the little things as well ...

KR

Derek

@Derek_Hart @Rob O'Keefe 

Yes it was a nice surprise to start the week! I joined a call which already 6/7 people on so it was a shock.

Seems we've completed our mission (or more accurately we've nagged hard enough for them to add the feature)

i think there were some other features....

* when you go to add a file to a Team Chat (not 1-1) the pop up is different and included Recent files which is nice.

* the hand raising icon

Anything else???

@Mikehopkins18 I was one of the only team members at my company that had not received the 3x3 update, but logging out and back in revealed the new functionality.