Sharing Documents Defaults to Read Only

Copper Contributor

Hey y'all! Some of my users have mentioned that when the share documents in personal chats in Teams, the documents always default to read only/view only on the recipients end. I had one of these users share something with me and got the same effect. I assume they changed something in their settings when sharing but they swear they did not and I don't recall asking or implementing any changes. Has anyone else heard of this happening? Or can they remind me on how to change this from the user side. 

1 Reply

@garikapc  Hi this is the file sharing experience that has just been implemented by Microsoft. See What’s New in Microsoft Teams | October 2020 which has a short video on the change

New file sharing experience
Team members share and work together on content from a single source of truth seamlessly with Microsoft Teams. You can now create a shareable link for any file stored in Teams and directly set the appropriate permissions. This works in the same ways as sharing does in SharePoint and OneDrive. Your organisation will have set a default sharing permission of read or edit. So it looks like the default sharing permission is set is read only. The user need to tap on the file to change the sharing permissions.