Setting up Teams runs into endless loop...

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to setup a free private teams account so I can use it to invite others for a conversation.

Unfortunately I do run into a loop when doing so.

At my work, I do have a Teams account. In order to do some testing at work I have invited myself using my private mail account as a "guest" to a Teams Channel. This private mail account is also used for my Microsoft 365 account. The test worked well so I could access the business Teams Channel using my private mail account.

Recently, when I wanted to setup my private teams account, I ran into an issue as apparently my private mail account was coupled to my business Teams account. I have removed my private mail account from the business Teams Channels, receiving the confirmation "You have left the XXX organization" by mail. Next, when trying to install Teams for my private mail account I ran into errors, telling me that my private account was no longer connected to the business tenant. I left it for two weeks and now this error is resolved. 

However, when I like to try to "sign up for free", enter my private mail account, connected to my Microsoft 365 account, I do run into the error "Sign in to Teams - Looks like you're using a work of school account. Sign in to check if your organization already has a Microsoft Teams license waiting for you.". 

When using the Teams application I have installed at my private computer, I also get stuck after I do enter my private mail account with the error "You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization". It does give me the option to "Signup for Teams". Once I do click that button, I return to the "sign-up for free" internet page mentioned in the previous section above... an endless loop... 

When I login from www.microsoft.com I do see two accounts with my private mail address. One true private and one that is wrong. It seems to be related to an organization and I do believe this hampers me setting up my free Teams. How can I get rid of that wrong account?

Or… how can I get otherwise on to Teams as I love it, using my private Microsoft account and my private mail account???

3 Replies

@Marc-NL 

Please ask your question Microsoft Teams community which is here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/ct-p/MicrosoftTeams

This Community Discussion is to discuss Microsoft Tech Community itself, not questions related to concrete products and technologies.

Thanks @Sergei Baklan

@Marc-NL I'm moving your question to the Microsoft Teams space. Please ask Microsoft Teams questions there in the future. Thank you! 

@Eric Starker @Sergei Baklan Thanks guys!

Microsoft support provided me the link to the tech community but in a rush I apparently didn't post it in the right space. Will notice!