Send email to private channel

Copper Contributor

I have created a private channel.

I go to "more options" - "Get email address" and then "advanced settings".

I then see the following three options which are the same as for a standard channel.

•  Anyone can send emails to this address.
  •  Only members of this team.
  •  Only email sent from these domains.

Although the first option is selected only people who have access to this channel can send emails. People who do have access to the team but not to the private channel cannot send emails to this private channel. As a result it is not "Anyone".

Is this a bug or is this works as designed?

If it works as designed then why does is say "Anyone"? And is there a workaround so that people who do not have access to the private channel can send emails to this channel?

Update :

We added our domain name in the "Email integration" at "Accept channel email from these SMTP domains".

This solves the problem for private channels in new Teams that are created after we added our domain.

But this doesn't solve the problem for an existing private Channel in an existing Team. Also the problem remains for a new private Channel created in an existing Team (Team created before we added the domain).

24 Replies

@Kathryn Whiteley We had a similar business need. I guess it is possible to solve by using a shared mailbox and Power Automate but it is not a nice solution.

@Chris Webb I actually created a brand new team and a new private channel and it didn't work to email to it. Do you by the way still have the option "Anyone can email this channel"? I only see "Only members..." and "Only from these domains..." for both private and standard channels.

Yes, I have the option. My guess is once you set the option in the admin center to restrict domains to send to channel the option goes away, wonder if you have that option set Team Settings > Email integraiton section.
Yes, it is set in our tenant so that is most likely why the "All" option is not visible for us. Would have been nice to have the domain restriction as default but that the team owner had the option to open up for anyone to email the channel.

I wonder if it is this setting that somehow is causing emailing to any private channel to fail since it is working for you who don't have the domain restriction set.
Most likely.

@Par Linderoth    Its most likely as validated.