SOLVED

Securing Wiki

Copper Contributor

I want to secure a wiki. I have changed the access privileges in SharePoint to Read Only for Team members but they are still able to edit the wiki. The weird thing is that if I open Sharepoint then the latest Modified Date and User is not in line with what happened on Teams. I am clearly missing something. Any ideas?

6 Replies

Hello @Illuminate  I can't answer your question directly but I can offer  you this article on Security in Teams in general - perhaps there's something there that will help.  Otherwise we'll just have to see if the community members have other suggestions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/security-compliance-overview

@Illuminate Hello! Never done it but you should be able to do it. Try this.

Open the SharePoint view.

SitecontentsTeamsWikiData.PNGWikiPermissions.PNG

It most likely is inheriting permissions. Stop that and set grant/edit desired permissions.

stop.PNG

Permissions.PNG

@ChristianBergstrom thanks, This is the first thing I tried and members are still able to change the Wiki. I asked the same question during Colab365 recently and the general consensus was securing a wiki goes against the principles of a wiki, sharing i.e. if you feel that you need to secure information in a wiki it is probably the wrong tool to use. While I agree with the sentiment I am a bit baffled by the fact that I can set access permission but it does not have any impact :unamused:

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Illuminate Hello! Thanks for the update, that's handy to know! (never tried it as I mentioned).

How about using OneNote within Teams instead? It's a much better overall experience comparing to the Wiki and you can secure it with password-protected sections (but not entire notebooks) using encryption. To add to that you have the sharing/permissions options as well. 

Thanks @ChristianBergstrom I will look into that. I was also thinking about using Sharepoint site pages but OneNote would be easier to manage. I have never tried to secure OneNote in Teams and it would be interesting to see how it works since the Wiki is actually built on OneNote. 

@Illuminate unfortunately you can't lock teams built-in wiki from being edited, but there is a lot of 3-rd party wiki apps available for the Ms Teams. Here is an overview of "Best Wiki Apps for Microsoft Teams in 2021"

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Illuminate Hello! Thanks for the update, that's handy to know! (never tried it as I mentioned).

How about using OneNote within Teams instead? It's a much better overall experience comparing to the Wiki and you can secure it with password-protected sections (but not entire notebooks) using encryption. To add to that you have the sharing/permissions options as well. 

View solution in original post