Screen Sharing issues on Microsoft Teams on VDI (Teams Optimization Enabled)

Copper Contributor

Hi,

- We have recently enabled Optimization on Microsoft Teams using Horizon View 8.1 (2012)

- The users are remotely logging in to the VMs with updated Horizon 8.1 clients (2012)

- Some users are frequently having issues with incoming and outgoing screen shares. If they try to share their screen, remote users will not be able to see the content. If another user shares his screen, this same user will not be able to see the shared content.

- The users that report this issue the most frequently are logging to a GPU-Enabled Desktop Pool (NVidia Grid K1).

============
Step by step scenario where user A is having issues.
============

Meeting attendees :
- User A
- User B
- User C
- User D

Step #1 : If User B shares his screen :
- User A does not see the shared content.
- User C sees the shared content.
- User D sees the shared content.

Step #2 : If User A shares his screen :
- User B does not see the shared content.
- User C does not see the shared content.
- User D does not see the shared content.

Step #3 : User A completely exits the Teams Application and opens it back.

Step #4 : If User B shares his screen :
- User A sees the shared content.

Step #5 : If User A shares his screen :
- User B sees the shared content.

============
Various information
============

- The Microsoft Teams version on VDI was updated from 1.4.00.4167 to 1.4.00.6862
- These users have guest accounts to other organisations.
- Once a user is faced with the issue, screen sharing functions will not work in any meeting until the user completely closes the Microsoft Teams App.
- Microsoft Teams cache is automatically deleted within their profiles during the weekends and the issue even occurs on their first login with a "clean cache".
- The IT Staff haved tried over 25 different connections to reproduce the issue, logging into the same environment, user rights and on the same pool but we have not been able to face this issue once.
- Everything was working fine before Teams Optimization (with RTAV), however, video quality wasn't acceptable.
- When users are having issues, the "about" banner still shows "VMware Optimized".

============
Questions
============

- Is anyone facing these issues with the optimized Microsoft Teams on a VMware VDI environment?
- Is anyone facing these issues with the optimized Microsoft Teams on a CITRIX environment?
- Is anyone running a 100% stable optimized Microsoft Teams environment on any VDI Environment?
- Is anyone facing a random "glitch" where the "camera" and "phone" buttons and blank and they cannot complete a call? Banner still shows "VMware Optimized" and user is able to "receive" calls.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

9 Replies

@andrewgarca07 Hi, We are also seeing similar issues on Teams in Citrix virtual Desktop 1912 LTSR CU1. We are seeing this issue only in version 1.4.00.4167. Planning to upgrade to new version. We have hell a lot of issues just with Teams on the VDI 

Citrix support told us to disable HDX… currently testing
But you were facing the exact same issue ? Screen sharing issues usinh VDI Optimized when users were switching orgs?
We are having screen sharing (black screen) issues. Meeting with 5-10 usere, one is sharing the others can see it except one.
Hi Patrick , do you know if the user that is not able to see the screen share also switches organisations within this same profile? On my side, in Vmware, this issue mostly happens to users who switch from one Organisation to another within the same Teams account?
No all the same organization/tenant
I have the same issue with Vmware with the first-run of Teams.

For now, logging off or quit Teams fix the issue.
After this, with FSLogix or a roaming profile system, the issue will not appear on subsequent logins.

The issue is with the file settings.json, when deleting it, the screen share stops working, you have to quit Teams.
(C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\settings.json)

When the screensharing works, I copy this file into Default user (in computer labs, it's always creating a new profile each login) and it works. I don't like this, but seems to work.

@slantin 

Hi!

My issue mainly happens only when people switch organisations. I actually had a talk with VMware about my issue and they confirmed me the following, which explained 100% my issue: 

"We would like to inform you that as per the update from engineering team, there is a known limitation from Microsoft Teams in VDI where whenever we switch between organizations in teams, Teams cache needs to be deleted every time as a workaround otherwise we see unexpected results while making calls and screenshare."

how was the testing ? has it worked @Patrick2220