SOLVED

Screen recording disabled

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

Ever since my organisation moved over to Microsoft Teams with a Business Premium license, the screen recording option during video meetings has always been disabled. 

Firstly, I followed all of the required configurations listed here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/cloud-recording

With the screen recording option still disabled, I decided to contact Microsoft Support which started a two week long troubleshooting process. This process reviewed various settings (Teams admin, Office admin, Stream admin, Azure etc) as well as assigning an E3 license to test with. Eventually Microsoft Support concluded that screen recording is not available in South Africa and gave us a refund for our annual subscription as an act of good will.

Although this gesture was appreciated, I am still not sold that the screen recording feature is unavailable in South Africa as I have spoken to multiple local businesses who use Teams and are able screen record without any issues. Recording our meetings is really important, especially because we would like to have access to the transcription text afterwards to review meeting notes.

What does everyone think? 

10 Replies

@JSwart Previously recording was disabled for Teams regions without a local Stream installation, so in South Africa you have Teams in the Office 365 data centers but not stream, therefore recording was disabled. But from February this is changed so recording should be possible, the records will be saved in the closest DC with Stream.

https://office365itpros.com/2020/01/21/teams-meeting-recordings-stream/

As you say you talked to others that it is working for so it should work for you too. I guess you tried with multiple users and clients? Have you also tried with Teams web app (https://teams.microsoft.com)

@Linus Cansby Yes we have tried with different users as well as using the online version of Teams.

It looks like lots of other South Africans are having the same issue - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/ms-teams-recording-button-greyed-out/5ad488f2...

I am having the same issue around recording meetings. Tried all the policies in the MS Teams nothing I have done changes the  policy to be able to record

We are having the same issue. Even after enabling Teams recording outside of region it still doesn't work for South African based tenants. 

@FischerITI spoke to a MS techie and he mentioned that because the geolocation for Teams for our company is based in South Africa the same must happen for MS Stream. I then realised that MS Stream for company is based in the EU. This is not easy to fix, there is a whole process that needs to be followed.

best response confirmed by JSwart (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

Our screen recording has been working from about two weeks ago thanks to recently rolled out feature change 59665

"Meeting recording storage for areas where Stream is not available

Teams meeting recordings are currently disabled for customers whose Teams data is stored in-country, if Microsoft Stream is not available in that country. A new admin setting will allow customers to turn on meeting recordings if Microsoft Stream data residency is not yet in country. If this setting is turned on, Teams meeting recordings will be saved in the data center closest to the region.

• Featured ID: 59665
  • Added to Roadmap: 12/12/2019
  • Last Modified: 8/21/2020
  • Tags: General Availability, Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant), Microsoft Teams"

@JSwart 

Even after setting the -AllowRecordingStorageOutsideRegion to $true, "Start recording" remains disabled.

We have the same problem for 2 other tenants that we registered in April 2020. It seems, that microsoft had a Ressource Issue and placed the tenants in the US DC. The only option to get this problem solved, for now, is, to create a new tenant. Hoping that this one will placed outside US.

But it is a little bit frustrating, that this option AllowRecordingStorageOutsideRegion now can be set, but without any result... 

Hi, 

I think we might be having the same problem.

We have been having ongoing problems in being able to record in Teams.
- Our organisation has a A1 licence.

- Allow Cloud recording option is ON in meeting policies.

It seems the problem might be that Teams and Streams' Data locations is not in the same place. This causes Teams to disable the recording option. Apparently there is a way to bypass this.

I'm not sure if you can change the recordings' storage location i.e. to OneDrive/Share Point ? Or if you can simply just ADD a setting to allow the recordings to be stored at a different location. 

Can someone can help with this then I think we can solve this problem?

Thanks !

We have had the same problem, but it is not a regional issue for us. It looks like it is 1:1 calls where Microsoft now has a new policy to block recording on those calls by default, disabling it. This policy can only be set via PowerShell, not through the admin portal. (Microsoft, why is this not in the Admin portal?!?) We are waiting for up to 24 hours for the new policy to kick in to see if this was successful.

Here is some detail. In support in the admin portal you can type in the issue "Diag: Teams 1:1 Call Recording" and it will run a diagnostic on a user's account and give instructions on setting the policy via Powershell.

The announcement for this came in the massive stream of Office 365 update notifications and is as follows:

Message Summary
Updated April 29, 2021: We have updated the rollout timeline below. Thank you for your patience.

We are changing how 1:1 Call recording is enabled by creating its own policy.

Key Points

Control: via PowerShell
Action: Review settings and make changes by May 31, 2021 (previously April 12, 2021)
How this will affect your organization

Currently, 1:1 Call recording is controlled by the -CsTeamsMeetingPolicy / AllowCloudRecording attribute. After this change, it will be controlled by the -CsTeamsCallingPolicy / allowCloudRecordingForCalls attribute.

By default this new policy attribute will be set to false, so 1:1 call recording will not work unless you change this attribute to true.

What you need to do to prepare

If you are currently using 1:1 Call recording and would like to continue doing so, please update the -CsTeamsCallingPolicy / allowCloudRecordingForCalls attribute to true.

You can make this change immediately.
If you do not change the attribute, once the policy enforcement is rolled out, users using the 1:1 Call recording feature will not be able to use this feature.
If you do not want to have 1:1 Call recording enabled, you do not need to do anything.

NOTE: This new policy attribute relates to the Microsoft Teams Recording solution for 1:1 calls. This attribute does not affect 1:1 Compliance Recording, which is still controlled via the Compliance Recording policy.

I hope this helps someone else out who has been trying to figure this out.

I have the same problem and I'm in spain!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JSwart (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

Our screen recording has been working from about two weeks ago thanks to recently rolled out feature change 59665

"Meeting recording storage for areas where Stream is not available

Teams meeting recordings are currently disabled for customers whose Teams data is stored in-country, if Microsoft Stream is not available in that country. A new admin setting will allow customers to turn on meeting recordings if Microsoft Stream data residency is not yet in country. If this setting is turned on, Teams meeting recordings will be saved in the data center closest to the region.

• Featured ID: 59665
  • Added to Roadmap: 12/12/2019
  • Last Modified: 8/21/2020
  • Tags: General Availability, Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant), Microsoft Teams"

View solution in original post