Schedule Teams meetings for other people without attending

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am currently managing a huge project for which I need to set up all the meetings via Teams, but I am not meant to attend all of them. For now I have to start all the meetings myself as the organiser before dropping out, which is annoying.

Is there a way for me to set up a Teams meeting in which people from my organisation (who have an Office 365 licence) and other external users (without Teams installed or an Office 365 licence) can attend without me having to start it off?

I know that I can change the meeting settings to allow everyone to bypass the lobby, but it seems at least one member of my organisation has to conncect for all the other users to be able to start the meeting. However, some of these meetings are only for external users and it doesn't start until someone from my organisation connects.

Does anyone know if what I'm asking is yet possible on Teams?

Thanks

Pierre

38 Replies

@Pierre-A02 Hello, are you saying this config is set using CsTeamsMeetingPolicy..

-AutoAdmittedUsers
Everyone, if you'd like to admit anonymous users by default.

..but it doesn't work for an anonymous to start a meeting? I'm pretty sure I've tested this behavior previously and could start a meeting with an anonymous gmail account. But, I had to wait ~48 hours for the policy to take effect.

@Pierre-A02 

Hi, I saw your question and I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out how to do this?

Thanks!

Frank

Hello, just use the meeting lobby settings to decide who can enter the meeting directly without being admitted from the lobby.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16...
Hi,

Thank you for answering. It provided clarity but not the solution :)
I now read that "You won't be able to select someone from a different org as a presenter". So I guess I need to give this person, that I would like to admit others to join, different rights elsewhere.
Hello! While that is correct when sending the invite you can "upgrade" the individual from another org. to Presenter during the meeting.
But in this case I only want to send the invite and not participate to the meeting to do that.
Someone ought to moderate or be in charge of the meeting anyway right? Give him or her Presenter rights.
We back to the start, I don´t want to participate :-). Thank you for taking the time.

@Frank1960 OK, misunderstanding here. Who are you inviting? Only external org. users to have a meeting in your org? That doesn't seem reasonable. So when scheduling choose a person from your org. as a presenter from within the Meeting options so that person can change the role of the external user during the meeting. You don't have to participate, just be sure to set the lobby as needed.

ChristianBergstrom_0-1618571243139.png

You can also select "Anyone" as a Presenter, if you haven't noticed already.

"Anyone who has access to the meeting link will join the meeting as a presenter."

@ChristianBergstrom Our company has the same request. We are working with a client that wants our org to set up links for meetings even meetings we are not attending. We cannot go to every single meeting just to admit the external client. Is there a way to setup the meeting from our org for the members of another org to meet without our person needing to come in and unlock the doors so to speak?

Is there a bot that can start the meeting?

Yes, you can. Don’t need a bot. I actually explained how to do it above. It comes down to the meeting settings such as lobby and who can present if allowing ”Everyone” or not (or federated, guests if your client is that).

@ChristianBergstrom 

Thank you for this information. 

When I set up a meeting that I am not attending, it is inputted on my Outlook calendar. If I try to remove it, I'm canceling the whole meeting. Is there another way to schedule others without scheduling myself? I don't want to constantly second-guess which meetings on my calendar I need to attend vs. which ones I do not.

Thanks again for your help.

Hello, what's the use case here? Scheduling random meetings which you don't want to attend? If you need to second-guess perhaps somebody else should be the organizer.

@CaryAbbott We have this too. 

As a recruitment agency, we need to be able to set up all the interviews but not be present. 

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Hello, as already explained this can be accomplished. You can actually use this being rolled out right now https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=68730 and is by far the easiest way to do it! (People I invite)

And rather soon it going to be even easier when the introduce the co-organizer meeting role https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=81391

Anyway, if you haven't got the above setting yet it's all about who you invite (1) your tenant Team settings for anonymous join (2), meeting policies (3) and the particular meeting set up (4). Let's say I want to schedule a meeting with two anonymous accounts (i.e. Gmail) but I am not going to be able to attend, but I have to schedule it as no one else can and no one from my org. can attend either. As I am the organizer I need to configure the meeting options so it fit the scenario and allow "everybody" to automatically go trough the lobby and let anonymous start a meeting. If not choosing that they are gonna end up in the lobby only as there's no one to let them in and they can't initiate the meeting. In this scenario my org. must allow for anonymous join, anonymous can start a meeting and everyone can present in the meeting options "Anyone who has access to the meeting link will join the meeting as a presenter".

For refrence https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-participant-settings-for-a-teams-meeting-53261366-...

Note the "You won't be able to select someone from a different org as a presenter." This can instead be changed during the meeting by an organizer/presenter (role).

@ChristianBergstrom 

Dear Christian

I am also facing the same problem.

I am the organiser of all the meetings, so I have to create links and send to all the participants. 

Most of the meetings, i am not required to participate.

So can I admit participants to meetings without getting into the meeting.

I cannot access "meeting option" settings and its saying error.

Pls advise me urgently.

I would also appreciate if you can add my personal email id - Pallavikharade18@gmail.com while replying to my query.

Thank you so much

Pallavi

@ChristianBergstrom The workaround you suggested doesnt actually allow someone from outside my org to start a meeting that me/my org originated.  

I have all permissions set ok (I think, see screenshot) and yet others cannot start the meeting without me. In my case I am a consultant but I want my clients to be able to hold a recurring meeting that we have weekly without me while I am on holiday.   They are not able to do so.

Or is there something else I need to change? 

Have you worked it through with your Teams admin? When it comes to the anonymous settings (not guests or federated) there are two your org. needs to allow and it's the Teams org. setting "anonymous users can join a meeting" and the -AllowAnonymousUsersToStartMeeting in the teams meeting policy.