Says I have hit the Channel Limit But I haven't

Brass Contributor

I am trying to create a new channel but I am getting a notification that I am out of channels.  The team was showing only that I had like 103 channels and 1 inactive.  I haven't deleted any channels in the past 14 days and certainly no where near 96 of them.  What gives and how do I fix?

23 Replies

Today I can add channels...  There is no sense to any of this.

Odd. Well hopefully you can add many more lol....

@Chris Webb 

I just wanted to post back that our IT had received this message back from MS Engineering:

"Post- hard delete* (i.e. after 30 days) you can create a channel with same name and also do not count against 200 limit. The SP folder associated with the channel is not deleted as a part of channel delete. If a new channel is created with same name, Files will get associated with the same SP folder.

*Note that only channels that were deleted post-May 2018 gets permanently deleted (hard-deleted). Channels deleted prior to that will stay in deleted state (but not visible under delete folder in Teams UI), these will be hard deleted in future.

Also channel count limit is updated in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams

In this case it seems channel are deleted before May 2018 hence not hard delete still counts towards 200 and they won't be visible under delete folder also."

So, I think several of my deletes were probably pre May 2018 and it just took a while for my post May 2018s to drop off.  I have no idea how many channels I can really have or not, but at least I have an explanation that makes sense - and it jives with initial thoughts.

If there was some way to print or copy conversational history and/or move channels to other Teams then I know I could work within my reduced channel limitations.  Archiving would be nice but I bet when that feature comes out it would still count against the channel limit.  A simple screen print of the entire channel conversation feed would be great.  There has to be a hack or a bot out there somewhere yeah?

Move channels is on the roadmap, no idea when thou. You can mine move data via graph, or export messages etc. But you can only do it under a single identity, so everything will get posted by that user doing the graph imports.