Hi there,

A new version for Room System has been launched. On here Lenovo's device says:

Log Name:      Skype Room System
Source:        SRS-App
Date:          06/04/2020 10:23:29
Event ID:      1003
Level:         Warning
Description:
App failed to launch error:This command cannot be run due to the error: Unknown error (0x80040900). HRESULT: -2146233079

Date:          06/04/2020 10:23:29
Event ID:      1010
Level:         Warning
Description:
Detected app registration error. Attempting manual app registration...

Date:          06/04/2020 10:23:30
Event ID:      1009
Level:         Information
Description:
Manual app registration complete

Date:          06/04/2020 10:23:33
Event ID:      1001
Level:         Error
Description:
App failed to successfully launch within the timeout period.

And on the logs it says:

04/06/2020 | 11:22:45  | 3924 | LVL_INFO	:: Telemetry event: s4sh_AppState. AppSessionId = A9A083C8-1F62-41DA-8FE0-08D0D9C577F1. BluetoothAdvertisementEnabled = True. ContentCameraEnhancementEnabled = True. ContentCameraId = . ContentCameraInverted = False. IsTeamsDefaultClient = False. LastPasswordUpdate = 01/01/0001 00:00:00. PasswordRotationEnabled = False. PasswordUpdateFrequencyInDays = 30. Reason = Meeting mode at App Launch. TeamsMeetingsEnabled = True. 
04/06/2020 | 11:23:29  | 3924 | LVL_ERROR	:: [App.xaml.cs:723:OnSuspending] APP_SUSPEND
04/06/2020 | 11:23:29  | 3924 | LVL_INFO	:: [App.xaml.cs:841:LogMemoryInformation] Memory: Usage:64, UsageLevel:Low, UsageLimit:9360MB, TotalWorkingSet:67MB

Any others have the similar experiences?

37 Replies

@Petri X 

Hi, 

Same here, Crestron Flex devices ,now two devices have version 4.4.41.0 and together 4.4.25.0 and the problem is the same. Did you get solution for this?
I expect a comment from Crestron on this.

@Mika Seppänen 

No, just writing a case to MS.

So far 4.3.42.0 is the only working version. 4.4.41.0 have the same issue.

@Mika Seppänen 

From the proxies we could found that the new devices has started to use host:

https://ecs.office.com

But at the moment that gives the following message:

<h2>Our services aren't available right now</h2><p>We're working to restore all services as soon as possible. Please check back soon.</p>0g7O+XgAAAABgB/YZk5V9SLL0abxT216mQkVSMzBFREdFMDcwOQBFZGdl

When take the same trace from older devices (4.3.42.0), we could see that host like that is not used.

same issue here with 4.4.41.0 on Logitech Smartdock devices. Have you received any update from MS? I also opened a case
It looks like Windows 10 Pro licensed devices are affected on my side. Enterprise editions all look good. Do you have Pro or Enterprise?

@Gerco0426 

We have Win 10 Ent. 1903 in Crestron Flex systems, 3 of 6 updated and all out of the game at the moment.

@Mika Seppänen 

We have the same problem. Logitech Smartdock with Surface Pro. Any feedback from support to your tickets?

Looks like our problem went away, and main issue was actually a dirty bit in the SkypeSettings.xml . There is this ecs.office.com connection which is still in recovery mode. As our devices are member of domains and are behind proxies (why Microsoft you cannot give proxy account into config??) this ECS might cause the proxy authentication popup on the device.

Check if SRS's Event log could clarify this or Skype logs on: 

c:\Users\Skype\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeRoomSystem_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Tracing

And Teams Logs on:

c:\Users\Skype\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeRoomSystem_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams

@Petri X ok. Thanks, we have the exactly same error: 

App failed to successfully launch within the timeout period.

Did you modify the settings xml of did the problem miraculously cure itself. The symptom occurred somewhere between last friday and this morning. We never got any proxy popups just a blank screen after Teams app startup and after a while the system reverts back to logon screen when it reaches timeout.

@moisiri 

Same here, no domain, only mod. on skypesettings.xml was custom background long time ago. 

And:

Check if SRS's Event log could clarify this or Skype logs on: 

c:\Users\Skype\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeRoomSystem_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams

And Teams Logs on:

I couldn't see any errors in log file, I found one log file only from that folder, and last line was reboot after update... 14. may. 

@Petri X 

Same problem here. Is there any option to rollback version 4.3.42.0 ?

@JanneH 

This is weird. At least you @Petri X  @Mika Seppänen  and I seem to be Finnish. Can this be language / geography -based in some way?

Unfortunately (?) @moisiri I success to get the devices back to online. We are using both Skype on-prem and Teams on the devices, but so that Skype is still preferable. Devices are running 1903.

If you have proxy in use, then that is good place to take a trace. If you do not have proxy, then Azure AD's sign-in logs might tell something what is going wrong.

Also if you do not have proxy in use, then perhaps this could give you a hint what is going wrong (thanks to @Enamul Khaleque:(

Capture a Network Trace without installing anything (& capture a network trace of a reboot) 

Reboot the device and see from the trace if that could explain what connection is not working.

Other option is to use Process Monitor for capturing what is happening during reboot. Again, reboot and see if anything clear appears.

@Gerco0426 same issue here - W10 Enterprise Smart Docks were fine, the same devices running W10 Pro all fail to launch MTR/SRS on restart.

All but one had updated to 4.4.41.0 over the weekend, that one was interrupted by a user and needed manual intervention. 

Not great to come in on a Monday to find 60% of our VC units not working!  Would love to know why I lost a big chunk of my day to this and how to reinstate auto-start of MTR.

@Gerco0426 

How did you go with your ticket with Microsoft? I have 3 x Logitech Smart Docks which all just start to a blank desktop with start menu which I suspect is the same as you?

Going around in circles between Logitech and Microsoft.

@JPierre84 

Hey all, had the same thing here,  on the 4.4.41.0 update and had to do the factory reset following this MS guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/rooms/recovery-tool

It does work, keeps you up to date (as the system is still on 4.4.41.0) and takes about an hour to do... which is probably less time then you have already spent looking for an answer. Our system is very standard though so that might factor in total time.

Surface pro 5  in the logitech system. 

Great finding @Jay Kelly 

Microsoft has just recently updated the recovery tool to 4.41. But instead of running the factory reset (the option 2 on the tool) it might be easier if you:

1. Sign-out Skype account from task manager

2. Delete (or rename to *.org) folder C:\Users\Skype\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SkypeRoomSystem_8wekyb3d8bbwe

3. Then run the tool but select the option 1 (repair)

4. Copy the SkypeSettings.xml file into LocalState

5. Reboot

The idea of this is the same what Microsoft ask to do to fix Teams: (clear the cache).

Hello,

We are fighting with this also on several different customers (And also from same country as many from here).
I've tried everything here and we managed to get 2 to work but still many to go.

For those two did work resetting whole system and changing localization to English but for others it wont help.

Has Microsoft done anything new to get this work? Customers are not that happy without their meetinrooms :)

It has got to be something about our localization as you can see our error in screenshot of powershell attachment.

-Timo

@viiksi 

You also tested by deleting the MTR folder under packages?