SOLVED

Reverse Number Lookup for outgoing calls

Brass Contributor

Hello together, 

assume the following scenario: 

User Account is synched to AAD with a telephone number but the Account is not activated for Microsoft Teams, because it is still using a telephone from our PBX and is not allowed to chat. In Teams I can search for the user in the global addressbook.

Lets assume the telephone number of the account is: +49XXXXXX 2720 and the name is Max Mustermann. I am using Microsoft Teams direct routing.

When Max Mustermann is calling me, I receive an incoming call notification with the number and the associated name. AAD Reverse Number Lookup is working fine in this case. In the call history I can see, that Max Mustermann called me.  

Now I would like to call Max Mustermann back. I go into the call app and call  +49XXXXXX 2720. In this case, reverse number lookup seems not to work. The calling window only shows the PSTN number and no name. After exiting the call, the call history also only shows the number. 

Do you encounter the same issue?

Thanks and greets,
Markus  

6 Replies

@Markus_95 

@RealTime_M365 can you assist here?

best response confirmed by Markus_95 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi Markus,

Reverse Number Look up only works when the users are enabled on the Microsoft PBX as the Teams Client searches for the number look up in the PBX not in AAD

Now the reason why you are seeing the Local PBX users name and phone number into your teams client is because you have the user Phone Number and Contact Number saved into your contacts. It is not working as a Reverse Number Lookup. It is searching the Phone Number in your Teams Directory and displaying the name associated with it.

In both the cases your calls are always getting routed via PSTN only in the current set up.

With Regards,
Satish U
Hi Satish,
thank you for your answer.

Just to make sure, that I understood it the correct way.
In case I initiate a call to a PSTN Number, Teams will check, if this number is assigned to one enabled "Teams PBX" user, correct? So it will not use the AAD for RNL. In case the number is associated with an enabled Teams User, it will show the correct contact otherwise, it will only show the PSTN number.

Thanks and greets,
Markus

@Markus_95, @Satish2085
My experience has been that outgoing phone calls placed from Microsoft Teams will always perform a reverse number lookup against phone numbers in AAD to attempt to match a user.  If a match is found, a Teams call will be placed to that user rather than attempting PSTN or Direct Routing call.  This has caused us issues as many users have the same office 'main number' assigned to their account in AD.

I did some tests in my environment. I have two kinds of users in my AAD: 1) User enabled Teams enterprise voice and the phone number in AAD is the same as the phone number provisioned in Teams.(e.g. +85213579 for User A). 2) User with a phone number in AAD which is the phone number from 3rd party PBX (+8522468 for User B).
Whatever I make Teams inbound or outbound calls, only the phone number provisioned in Teams enterprise voice could be matched while the phone number for 3rd party PBX did not match. i.e. when i dial +85213579, Teams client could match with User A; when I dial +8522468, Teams client just dial out the +8522468 and show the number only but not showing the name of User B...
Seems like Teams do RNL for Teams phone number only but not the AAD?

Hi, 
yes that is exactly the behaviour I am also facing. Seems like, that Teams is only doing the RNL in ougoing calls against the Teams internal phone system "adressbook" which only contains Teams users with enterprise voice enabled... I think there is defintely place for improvement. In Skype for Business this was not a problem at all. Due to the fact that the phone numbers of a user are also shown in his teams contact, even if they are hosted on a third party PBX, why is it not possible to show the name when you are doing an outgoing call to their number.. The assocciation betweenn user and number is already there.

Hopefully Microsoft will take this into consideration for the future.

Greets,
Markus

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Markus_95 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi Markus,

Reverse Number Look up only works when the users are enabled on the Microsoft PBX as the Teams Client searches for the number look up in the PBX not in AAD

Now the reason why you are seeing the Local PBX users name and phone number into your teams client is because you have the user Phone Number and Contact Number saved into your contacts. It is not working as a Reverse Number Lookup. It is searching the Phone Number in your Teams Directory and displaying the name associated with it.

In both the cases your calls are always getting routed via PSTN only in the current set up.

With Regards,
Satish U

View solution in original post