SOLVED

Restricted Access for file sharing in Private Chats

Copper Contributor

My organization is experiencing issues with accessing share excel documents. Once uploaded, they appear in the private chat and within the files tab, however, when attempting to download or view, it states "You don't have access to this file." 

This is the case even for individuals with Global Admin access. 

Is this an issue with SharePoint integration or OneDrive Business settings?

3 Replies
Hi!

Have the users accessing the files been part of the chat at the time the file was shared in the chat?
Does this always happen for everyone?
Are people user OneDrive successfully otherwise?

I'd say this is a Onedrive / Teams issue. OneDrive is used when sharing files in private chats. If OneDrive is provisioned to users and working correctly otherwise, uploading files in a Teams chat should share the file with all participants of that chat at that given time. You can verify by checking the file's sharing permissions in the users OneDrive.

Adam
best response confirmed by Justin_Blue (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Justin_Blue 

What is giving you the message saying you don't have access? Teams or Excel itself?

A global Admin won't have permission to the users OneDrive unless they have specifically added themselves into the site collection admin. Is this all excel files or specific ones? 

@Andrew Hodges 

Both Teams & Excel. Whether I attempt to preview the document inside of Teams or open it within Excel, it gives the same message. Also, it won't allow me to download it, which I'm assuming is because of not having access.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Justin_Blue (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Justin_Blue 

What is giving you the message saying you don't have access? Teams or Excel itself?

A global Admin won't have permission to the users OneDrive unless they have specifically added themselves into the site collection admin. Is this all excel files or specific ones? 

View solution in original post