SOLVED

Restoring/recovering an edited message

Brass Contributor

Can the original message which has been posted in Teams (Chat or Channel), which has subsequent been edited, be restored/accessed.

Scenario:  A student posts an inappropriate message in a chat or channel, realises their mistake/faux pas, and later edits it.  A person or people saw the original message and was/were offended but didn't take a screen shot and the evidence has now disappeared.

I know a deleted message can been recovered, but can an edited message also be recovered?

5 Replies

Hi @MaryHill   There are a lot of resources online that may help, like this post:  https://itspartlycloudy.com/2018/08/05/restoring-deleted-files-or-reverting-to-previous-versions-in-...

Please let the community know if you need further assistance.

@ThereseSolimeno 

Thank you Therese, but the link you shared covers restoring files.  My issue concerns a posted message.  I haven't been able to find anything so far on restoring messages, and importantly the different versions of a message there would be if the message had been edited.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

The only way would be to perform an eDiscovery search and recover the message from the copy stored within the Team/personal mailbox.

@Vasil Michev are the edited and non edited versions of the sent chat discoverable through eDiscovery? And in order to do this,  a retention policy is needed?

@MaryHill It could be even worse!
Imaging liking or reacting positively to a good message and then the poster editing it to something rude or discriminatory. How would that make you look like? There should be an easy way to see the edit history on Teams directly just like you can on Facebook, for example.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

The only way would be to perform an eDiscovery search and recover the message from the copy stored within the Team/personal mailbox.

View solution in original post