SOLVED

Removing a Meeting in a Teams Channel when the organizer is gone

Brass Contributor

We have a staff member that used to be an Owner of a Team that created a meeting series in a Channel within the team. That person now has left the organization and we cannot figure out how to remove the meeting series from the Channel for everyone. f course we could ask each person to manually remove the meeting fr themselves in Teams from the Channel but that doesnt work for large groups - it is just a mess. Is there an Administrative way to fix that?

12 Replies

@4BobRandall Hi, there are several UV requests for an enhanced end-user experience when it comes to meetings in Teams. You can go and have a look and vote for the ones you like or create your own. I believe this is the one with most votes when it comes to multiple organizers Assign multiple organizers on a Teams meeting – Microsoft Teams UserVoice which would prevent your scenario.

As for the channel meetings they are created in the calendar in the underlying group mailbox (no separate mailboxes for the channels). In other words, add permission to yourself or contact your admin to assist with that so you can enter the calendar and remove it.

@ChristianBergstrom Can you elaborate or provide some instructions on how this is done? I am an owner of the Team -and- I think I also have a MS admin account but not sure how to go about this.

"As for the channel meetings they are created in the calendar in the underlying group mailbox (no separate mailboxes for the channels). In other words, add permission to yourself or contact your admin to assist with that so you can enter the calendar and remove it."

@cjdonnell @ChristianBergstrom I am in a similar situation. Owner of the Team has left the company. I was made an owner of the Team and there is a recurring meeting created by the previous owner that I cannot figure out how to control/edit/cancel occurrences. 

Unfortunately, we just deleted the calendar and re-created it - which really wasn't ideal. I think we may've been able to delete from the Group mailbox calendar. It took us a while but we were able to unhide the group that the Teams created.

@cjdonnell , how did you delete the Calendar for the Team?

@Star-D 

1. Identify the Teams mail account, this can be found in the Teams admin center, search for the team and the information is available there.

2. Run the Connect-ExchangeOnline cmdlet

3. Run the following command “Set-UnifiedGroup -identity “TEAMNAME” -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$False

4. A member of the Team have to start Outlook and go to the Calendar tab, in the left menu there's a category called “All Group Calendars” find the team calendar there. You can also add yourself to the team and do it from your Outlook.

5. In the Calendar of the Team, identify the appointment/series you want to remove and cancel the meeting/series.

best response confirmed by ThemperorRose (Microsoft)
Solution

@4BobRandall I came across this question when I was also trying to solve the problem. None of the existing answers were very useful, but I worked out a good solution that worked for me. When you view the Calendar in the Teams application, or via your normal Outlook application, you are usually viewing your own Calendar, via the "My Calendar" view.  If you are an Owner of the Teams Channel, you can access the Group Calendar via Outlook...

1. Open Outlook

2. Switch to the Calendar in the Navigation Pane (bottom left for me)

3. In the left-hand navigation, underneath the monthly view, you can select different Calendars. For me, there are top-level options of My Calendar, Team, Other Calendars, Shared Calendars, and last there is All Group Calendars. In this last item (All Group Calendars), I found the Teams Channel name, and clicking on it showed a new calendar representing the Group view. 

I found the appointment in this view, where I was not the Organiser, but I was allowed to Edit/Cancel the appointment because I was a Group Owner. 

I hope this helps somebody in the future...

Hi, @ChristianBergstrom , any word on if Assign multiple organizers on a Teams meeting – Microsoft Teams UserVoice  is active yet? 

The link no longer works, but the functionality described is something I'm seeking for my MS Teams channels meetings --- I want to allow a set of delegates to edit the meeting as needed. Is that possible yet?

Thank you!

@PhilMarshall_AU 

Thanks for sharing this.

Only issue I see is that doing it via the Group calendar in Outlook doesn't appear to modify the Channel post about the meeting.

Clicking on the meeting in the channel shows up as "Couldn't find that event" but it doesn't show as cancelled.

So Teams is not reflecting what has been done in the Group Calendar.

Not an absolute show stopper, but not a great experience either.

@PhilMarshall_AU Stupid detail: outlook WEB version. The desktop app doesn't allow you to add that group calendar.

Hi @shabadchawla,

Could you share the steps on how you managed to fix it from Phil's steps he kindly shared?

I am not able to find step 3. and proceed on.

As Phil shared:
"In the left-hand navigation, underneath the monthly view, you can select different Calendars. For me, there are top-level options of My Calendar, Team, Other Calendars, Shared Calendars, and last there is All Group Calendars."
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThemperorRose (Microsoft)
Solution

@4BobRandall I came across this question when I was also trying to solve the problem. None of the existing answers were very useful, but I worked out a good solution that worked for me. When you view the Calendar in the Teams application, or via your normal Outlook application, you are usually viewing your own Calendar, via the "My Calendar" view.  If you are an Owner of the Teams Channel, you can access the Group Calendar via Outlook...

1. Open Outlook

2. Switch to the Calendar in the Navigation Pane (bottom left for me)

3. In the left-hand navigation, underneath the monthly view, you can select different Calendars. For me, there are top-level options of My Calendar, Team, Other Calendars, Shared Calendars, and last there is All Group Calendars. In this last item (All Group Calendars), I found the Teams Channel name, and clicking on it showed a new calendar representing the Group view. 

I found the appointment in this view, where I was not the Organiser, but I was allowed to Edit/Cancel the appointment because I was a Group Owner. 

I hope this helps somebody in the future...

View solution in original post