Really poor video quality in large meetings

Copper Contributor

We have problems with really poor video quality (it looks like 240p) in our town hall meetings with ~200 participants.  Audio quality is crisp though. There does not seem to be a bandwidth issue (i have verified 800mbit up/down via speed test) and cpu/gpu looks ok on the machine running the meeting.

I would love to run the meeting as a live event but sadly the delay kills any interactivity which is a must have for us. 

I'm now looking att alternate platforms for this use case but would love to be able to keep using teams.

The question: Is this to be expected or is there anything we can do to mitigate the problem?

3 Replies

Hi @makkan

We have the same use case and are experiencing the same. We use a combination of Teams end users and Meeting Rooms (some using the BlueJeans Teams Gateway). Consistently good experience on smaller sessions - but on our all staff town hall with 180 participants the video quality goes through the floor. Not a bandwidth issue on our side, or any issue with the BlueJeans Gateway. Talking to Microsoft we're hearing that this is currently by design in that they try and optimize bandwidth for larger calls but clearly the quality is too low.. especially when projected on 4k internal meeting rooms. Just wondered if you tried any alternatives that worked for you? 

Hello Makkan ,

My name is Bader Jamal, 

I am so sorry to be the person bringing the bad news for you, unfortunately, this is not an option in Teams. it's from your internet bandwidth connection .. pls check your bandwidth

you can check it on the speed

Teams is based on bandwidth connection, depending on the following:

30 kbps Peer-to-peer audio calling
130 kbps Peer-to-peer audio calling and screen sharing
500 kbps Peer-to-peer quality video calling 360p at 30fps
1.2 Mbps Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 720p at 30fps
1.5 Mbps Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 1080p at 30fps
500kbps/1Mbps Group Video calling
1Mbps/2Mbps HD Group video calling (540p videos on 1080p screen)

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network

@deeparekh as the majority of large meetings are our towhalls/large information meetings we are looking into getting an enterprise streaming platform instead of teams. Microsoft has "live event" but unfortunately the delay of that service removes it as an option for us.

Interesting that it is "by design", this is kind of what I thought it might be.