Read Receipts in Group Chats Reliable?

Copper Contributor

A few days back, I sent a group chat to 10 colleagues. When I click on the ellipsis for the message, I see towards the bottom 'Read by 9 of 10'. So I identified who wasn't registers on there and asked her to review the messages in case she missed them. She did and I went back to hopefully see 'Read by 10 of 10' or something of the sort. However, that is not the case, it still shows 'Read by 9 of 10'. So I'm stuck wondering how reliable this feature is. Maybe the colleague I engaged with had already read the messages, but for whatever reason it didn't register within Teams. Does it take a certain amount of time for that information to refresh/register/log? I would think it would be pretty instantaneous since the private one-on-one chat icon for a read message shows up pretty quick. I have popped back in and out of the chat to see if the results would change, but nothing different. I even tried logging out of Teams and logging back in.

Anybody have success stories on this or horror stories? I'm trying to determine if this is a trustworthy feature to rely on.

1 Reply

I wouldnt rely too much on it.